The 12-step program has become rather popular these days amongst individuals with some addiction issues, and although initially it was developed by Alcoholics Anonymous for individuals with alcohol abuse as a progressive disease, the 12-step program in St. Louis, MO that we now know is used more commonly within different substance abuse healing groups, Narcotics Anonymous or Cocaine Anonymous for individuals with illicit substance abuse problems, and others.
So if you are interested in finding out more about the 12-step programs in St. Louis, Missouri and how they could be implemented in your own treatment programs, then you may want to continue reading this post!
St. Louis 12-Step Program Organization
As you could have thought, the St. Louis, Missouri 12-step program contains in itself 12 different spiritual principles and guidelines that must be used by various support groups to help its members overcome their issues.
So here are these 12 steps developed by Alcoholics Anonymous for its AA members to be utilized in St. Louis, MO, or any other place:
- Confess your weakness for alcohol;
- Find a Power greater than yourself, and believe that a Power like that could restore us to sanity;
- Turn your will over to God so that he can restore us and look after all these defects that we have;
- Make a personal inventory of yourself, find the root of your issues, and confess to yourself;
- Confess to God and other people the exact nature of your sins;
- Permit God to remove all these defects that you have today, and that hinder your daily life in a unfavorable method;
- Do not hesitate to request God’s help while you are going through this searching and fearless moral inventory of yourself;
- Right down a list of all individuals that you have harmed before;
- Say sorry prior to anybody that you have actually hurt unless these direct amends and your presence in the lives of these individuals would injure them even more;
- Never stop your personal recovery process. Be ready to ask forgiveness whenever you comprehend that you are in the wrong, as it is the spiritual foundation of your recovery;
- Usage prayers and meditation as a way to improve your conscious contact with God in whatever form that you envision Him;
Once you are ready, move all of your knowledge and experience to other people with substance abuse problems and, of course, continue to practice the principles of 12-step programs throughout your life, as your personal recovery depends on them.
St. Louis, MO 12-step Programs and Their Principles
Aside from the 12 standards described above, twelve-step programs likewise consist of 12 customs that are connected with the organization of Alcoholics Anonymous groups in general and not with the process through which each of their participants is going through.
And here are these 12 traditions:
- You do not require more than a genuine desire to stop drinking in order to get an AA membership and attend meetings of your group;
- The primary function of any AA group is to move the concepts of 12-step treatment programs to those who have a substance use problem;
- The entire group’s conscience and welfare are more crucial than that of any private independently, as the group purpose of recovering from an disease depends on the AA unity;
- The one ultimate authority of all AA groups is God himself, in whatever kind we envision Him. And thus, the leaders of any AA group are merely His servants;
- Each Alcoholics Anonymous need to be created separately from all others;
- AA groups should always remain non-financial organizations so that no one would get sidetracked from the primary function of AA groups, which is to assist those with substance abuse issues in their spiritual growth;
- Aside from being no-financial, AA groups should also stay self-support groups, suggesting that any kind of help from others ought to be denied;
- AA groups are nonprofessional, which is why their leaders should not be associated with medicine or psychology. The only possible exception is to employ special workers from substance abuse treatment service centers;
- Aside from AA groups being totally self-supporting, they should also stay non-organized groups, but they could create service boards or committees directly responsible for the help to be received by those they serve;
- Alcoholics Anonymous should not have an viewpoint on any outdoors matter so that the name of the groups and their treatment programs would not be utilized in public conflicts. AA leaders ought to remember that the individuals of their groups have a right to maintain personal anonymity;
- Public relations could be utilized only with the aim of attracting those in need and not for promoting the service centers and their functions;
- The helping hand of others is not the only requirement of AA groups; privacy is the 2nd one. This concept advises us that collectively-accepted guidelines must be more vital than every individual’s desires, specifically when it concerns group cooperation.
12 Step Programs’ Analyses in St. Louis, MO
As you can see, the first of all produced variation of the 12-step program is based on the spiritual awakening concepts, however time has actually assisted the program to develop and become less based on God if that is what you want.
For a few of you who are not as much of believers in God, it would be good to know that such spiritual focus is actually not the main attribute that assists individuals to recuperate. Your own healing depends more on your own interpretation of the 12 steps and on the social support of individuals who assist you in that process. Acceptance of some higher power greater than us does not always suggest that God is that power; it could also be our AA or any other group that might help us with all our affairs and difficulties.
There are various 12-step programs in St. Louis, Missouri nowadays, which is why you will have no trouble discovering the ones in your local community that matches your requirement the most, no matter whether it will be related to belief in God or not.
Twelve Steps Advantages
As we already understand, among the main concepts of 12-step programs is anonymity, which is why it is rather impossible to gather information on its effectiveness. But what we do know is that 74% of U.S.A. treatment centers are using 12 step programs as one of the treatment possibilities for its visitors. What is more, the individuals of this problem were found to be alcohol abstinent for longer time periods.
And as a few of the insurance plan can cover your expenses of going through a 12-step program in St. Louis, Missouri, it would be reasonable why 12 steps have ended up being so popular in the last years.
Hence, understanding that 12 steps programs are popular and commonly accepted throughout the world, we can state for sure that this type of treatment is effective; we simply do not know for whom. You can compare 12-step programs to therapy types: you can never ever understand for sure whether a particular approach is working for you unless you try it out, but you still understand that all of them could be effective.
Alternative Treatment Programs in St. Louis, Missouri
It might be the case that 12-step programs are not effective in your case, which is why considering alternatives is extremely important.
So here is a list of some other types of drug addiction treatments that might be practical:
Such programs occur in rehabilitation centers in St. Louis, Missouri with expert healthcare companies, which is why they are thought about to be among the most reliable ones. Residential programs assist you to produce an environment where no substance use is enabled, which is why your recovery might be faster compared to other rehabilitation techniques.
The only downside is that such programs are usually not that cheap, which is why you might need to think about other choices. However if you do incline participating in government-based rehab programs, then you may cover the expenditures with your insurance coverage.
Outpatient Rehabilitation Programs
These programs are quite comparable to residential ones, however they allow you to continue living your life and bearing your responsibilities, as you will not need to stay at the center all day, simply in the early mornings and nights.
However, because of such a format, you might need to spend a bigger amount of time in your rehabilitation center and work on your physical and mental health a bit more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the basic principle of a 12-Step program in St. Louis, MO?
The primary principle of the St. Louis 12 steps is that people can help one another in their journey of conquering drug abuse or any other problems. And although at first, God was the central character of self-help groups, His existence is not needed nowadays.
Where are the 12 steps in the AA Big Book?
The 12 steps can be found in the very beginning of the book “Alcoholics Anonymous,” in the chapter called “How it works.” However you might likewise check out them in the article above and choose whether or not they would be helpful to you.
Is there an AA 12-step workbook?
Yes, there is a workbook available for 12 actions fans, and you can download it free of charge. Such workbooks are normally really helpful for new members, and the things that you document in such a workbook could be talked about together with other AA members.