The 12-step program has become rather popular these days amongst individuals with some dependency problems, and although initially it was produced by Alcoholics Anonymous for individuals with alcohol abuse as a progressive illness, the 12-step program in Richmond, VA that we now understand is used more extensively within different substance abuse recovery groups, Narcotics Anonymous or Drug Anonymous for individuals with illicit drug use problems, and others.
So if you are interested in discovering more about the 12-step programs in Richmond, Virginia and how they could be implemented in your own treatment programs, then you may wish to continue reading this short article!
Richmond 12-Step Program Organization
As you might have thought, the Richmond, Virginia 12-step program consists of in itself 12 different spiritual principles and guidelines that ought to be used by various support groups to help its members overcome their problems.
So here are these 12 actions produced by Alcoholics Anonymous for its AA members to be utilized in Richmond, VA, or any other place:
- Admit your weakness for alcohol;
- Discover a Power greater than yourself, and think that a Power like that could restore us to sanity;
- Turn your will over to God so that he can restore us and look after all these defects that we have;
- Make a personal inventory of yourself, find the root of your issues, and admit it to yourself;
- Confess to God and other individuals the exact nature of your sins;
- Allow God to eliminate all these defects that you have right now, and that interfere with your day-to-day life in a negative way;
- Do not hesitate to request God’s aid while you are going through this searching and fearless moral inventory of yourself;
- Right down a list of all the people that you have actually harmed before;
- Apologize before anybody that you have hurt unless these direct amends and your presence in the lives of these people would injure them much more;
- Never stop your personal recovery process. Be ready to ask forgiveness whenever you comprehend that you are in the incorrect, as it is the spiritual foundation of your healing;
- Use prayers and meditation as a method to improve your conscious contact with God in whatever kind that you envision Him;
When you are ready, transfer all of your knowledge and experience to other individuals with substance abuse issues and, naturally, continue to practice the principles of 12-step programs throughout your life, as your personal recovery depends upon them.
Richmond, VA 12-step Programs and Their Principles
Aside from the 12 standards explained above, twelve-step programs also include 12 customs that are gotten in touch with the company of Alcoholics Anonymous groups in general and not with the process through which each of their individuals is going through.
And here are these 12 traditions:
- You do not need more than a genuine desire to stop drinking in order to get an AA subscription and attend meetings of your group;
- The main function of any AA group is to move the principles of 12-step treatment programs to those who have a substance use issue;
- The entire group’s conscience and welfare are more crucial than that of any individual individually, as the group function of recuperating from an illness depends on the AA unity;
- The one ultimate authority of all AA groups is God himself, in whatever kind we envision Him. And thus, the leaders of any AA group are merely His servants;
- Each Alcoholics Anonymous must be developed independently from all others;
- AA groups must constantly remain non-financial organizations so that no one would get sidetracked from the main function of AA groups, which is to help those with substance abuse issues in their spiritual growth;
- Aside from being no-financial, AA groups should also stay self-support groups, implying that any kind of help from others must be rejected;
- AA groups are nonprofessional, which is why their leaders need to not be related to medicine or psychology. The only possible exception is to employ special workers from substance abuse treatment service centers;
- Aside from AA groups being totally self-supporting, they need to likewise remain non-organized groups, however they might create service boards or committees directly responsible for the aid to be received by those they serve;
- Alcoholics Anonymous should not have an opinion on any outdoors matter so that the name of the groups and their treatment programs would not be used in public conflicts. AA leaders must keep in mind that the individuals of their groups have a right to maintain personal anonymity;
- Public relations could be used just with the aim of attracting those in need and not for promoting the service centers and their functions;
- The assisting hand of others is not the only requirement of AA groups; anonymity is the second one. This concept advises us that collectively-accepted guidelines must be more important than every individual’s desires, specifically when it pertains to group cooperation.
12 Step Programs’ Analyses in Richmond, VA
As you can see, the first of all produced version of the 12-step program is based upon the spiritual awakening concepts, however time has assisted the program to establish and end up being less based on God if that is what you want.
For some of you who are not as much of believers in God, it would be excellent to understand that such spiritual focus is in fact not the main characteristic that assists individuals to recuperate. Your own recovery depends more by yourself analysis of the 12 steps and on the social assistance of people who assist you in that procedure. Acceptance of some higher power greater than us does not always imply that God is that power; it could likewise be our AA or any other group that might help us with all our affairs and troubles.
There are various 12-step programs in Richmond, Virginia these days, which is why you will have no trouble discovering the ones in your local community that suits your need the most, no matter whether it will be associated with belief in God or not.
Twelve Steps Advantages
As we already understand, among the main concepts of 12-step programs is anonymity, which is why it is quite impossible to collect data on its efficiency. However what we do understand is that 74% of USA treatment centers are utilizing 12 step programs as one of the treatment possibilities for its visitors. What is more, the participants of this issue were discovered to be alcohol abstinent for longer amount of times.
And as some of the insurance plan can cover your costs of going through a 12-step program in Richmond, Virginia, it would be understandable why 12 steps have actually become so popular in the last years.
Therefore, knowing that 12 steps programs are popular and widely accepted throughout the world, we can state for sure that this kind of treatment is effective; we simply do not know for whom. You can compare 12-step programs to therapy types: you can never understand for sure whether a particular technique is working for you unless you try it out, but you still know that all of them could be efficient.
Alternative Treatment Programs in Richmond, Virginia
It might be the case that 12-step programs are ineffective in your case, which is why thinking about options is very essential.
So here is a list of some other kinds of drug addiction treatments that might be helpful:
Such programs happen in rehabilitation centers in Richmond, Virginia with professional healthcare service providers, which is why they are thought about to be among the most efficient ones. Residential programs help you to create an environment where no substance use is allowed, which is why your healing might be much faster compared to other rehab techniques.
The only disadvantage is that such programs are typically not that inexpensive, which is why you may require to think about other options. However if you do not mind taking part in government-based rehab programs, then you may cover the expenses with your insurance coverage.
Outpatient Rehab Programs
These programs are rather similar to residential ones, however they allow you to continue living your life and bearing your obligations, as you will not need to remain at the center all the time, simply in the early mornings and nights.
However, because of such a format, you may have to invest a bigger time period in your rehab center and deal with your physical and mental health a bit more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the basic concept of a 12-Step program in Richmond, VA?
The primary concept of the Richmond 12 steps is that individuals can help one another in their journey of conquering drug abuse or any other problems. And although initially, God was the central character of self-help groups, His presence is not necessary these days.
Where are the 12 steps in the AA Big Book?
The 12 actions can be discovered in the very beginning of the book “Alcoholics Anonymous,” in the chapter called “How it works.” But you might likewise read about them in the article above and decide whether or not they would be practical to you.
Exists an AA 12-step workbook?
Yes, there is a workbook available for 12 actions fans, and you can download it totally free. Such workbooks are usually very useful for new members, and the important things that you document in such a workbook could be discussed together with other AA members.