The 12-step program has become quite popular these days among individuals with some addiction problems, and although originally it was produced by Alcoholics Anonymous for people with alcoholic abuse as a progressive health problem, the 12-step program in Columbus, OH that we now understand is utilized more commonly within different substance abuse healing groups, Narcotics Anonymous or Cocaine Anonymous for individuals with illegal drug use issues, and others.
So if you have an interest in finding out more about the 12-step programs in Columbus, Ohio and how they could be implemented in your own treatment programs, then you may want to continue reading this article!
Columbus 12-Step Program Organization
As you could have thought, the Columbus, Ohio 12-step program includes in itself 12 different spiritual principles and guidelines that need to be used by different support groups to assist its members overcome their problems.
So here are these 12 actions created by Alcoholics Anonymous for its AA members to be used in Columbus, OH, or any other place:
- Confess your weakness for alcohol;
- Find a Power greater than yourself, and think that a Power like that might restore us to sanity;
- Turn your will over to God so that he can restore us and take care of all these defects that we have;
- Make a personal inventory of yourself, discover the root of your problems, and confess to yourself;
- Confess to God and other people the exact nature of your sins;
- Allow God to get rid of all these defects that you have today, and that interfere with your day-to-day life in a negative way;
- Do not hesitate to request for God’s aid while you are going through this searching and fearless moral inventory of yourself;
- Right down a list of all the people that you have injured prior to;
- Say sorry prior to anyone that you have hurt unless these direct amends and your existence in the lives of these people would harm them even more;
- Never ever stop your personal recovery process. Be ready to ask forgiveness whenever you comprehend that you remain in the incorrect, as it is the spiritual foundation of your recovery;
- Usage prayers and meditation as a method to enhance your conscious contact with God in whatever form that you imagine Him;
As soon as you are ready, move all of your understanding and experience to other people with substance abuse problems and, obviously, continue to practice the principles of 12-step programs throughout your life, as your personal recovery depends on them.
Columbus, OH 12-step Programs and Their Concepts
Aside from the 12 standards explained above, twelve-step programs likewise consist of 12 traditions that are gotten in touch with the organization of Alcoholics Anonymous groups in general and not with the procedure through which every one of their individuals is going through.
And here are these 12 traditions:
- You do not need more than a genuine desire to stop drinking in order to get an AA membership and attend meetings of your group;
- The primary purpose of any AA group is to move the principles of 12-step treatment programs to those who have a substance use issue;
- The whole group’s conscience and well-being are more important than that of any individual independently, as the group purpose of recovering from an illness depends on the AA unity;
- The one ultimate authority of all AA groups is God himself, in whatever kind we envision Him. And thus, the leaders of any AA group are merely His servants;
- Each Alcoholics Anonymous should be developed independently from all others;
- AA groups need to constantly remain non-financial companies so that no one would get sidetracked from the primary purpose of AA groups, which is to help those with substance abuse issues in their spiritual growth;
- Aside from being no-financial, AA groups should likewise remain self-support groups, suggesting that any type of aid from others ought to be denied;
- AA groups are nonprofessional, which is why their leaders must not be connected to medication or psychology. The only possible exception is to employ special workers from substance abuse treatment service centers;
- Aside from AA groups being fully self-supporting, they must also stay non-organized groups, however they could create service boards or committees directly responsible for the aid to be gotten by those they serve;
- Alcoholics Anonymous should not have an opinion on any outside matter so that the name of the groups and their treatment programs would not be used in public fights. AA leaders must remember that the individuals of their groups have a right to maintain personal anonymity;
- Public relations could be utilized only with the goal of attracting those in need and not for promoting the service centers and their functions;
- The assisting hand of others is not the only requirement of AA groups; privacy is the 2nd one. This concept advises us that collectively-accepted rules must be more important than every individual’s desires, especially when it comes to group partnership.
12 Step Programs’ Analyses in Columbus, OH
As you can see, the firstly produced variation of the 12-step program is based on the spiritual awakening principles, but time has helped the program to develop and end up being less depending on God if that is what you desire.
For some of you who are not as much of believers in God, it would be great to know that such spiritual focus is in fact not the main characteristic that assists people to recover. Your own healing depends more on your own analysis of the 12 steps and on the social assistance of people who help you in that process. Approval of some higher power greater than us does not always mean that God is that power; it might also be our AA or any other group that might help us with all our affairs and difficulties.
There are several 12-step programs in Columbus, Ohio these days, which is why you will have no trouble finding the ones in your local community that suits your requirement the most, no matter whether it will be connected to belief in God or not.
Twelve Steps Advantages
As we currently know, among the main principles of 12-step programs is anonymity, which is why it is rather difficult to gather data on its efficiency. But what we do know is that 74% of USA treatment centers are utilizing 12 step programs as one of the treatment possibilities for its visitors. What is more, the participants of this issue were found to be alcohol abstinent for longer amount of times.
And as some of the insurance policies can cover your costs of going through a 12-step program in Columbus, Ohio, it would be reasonable why 12 actions have become so popular in the ins 2015.
Hence, understanding that 12 steps programs are popular and widely accepted throughout the world, we can state for sure that this kind of treatment is effective; we just do not know for whom. You can compare 12-step programs to treatment types: you can never understand for sure whether a particular technique is working for you unless you try it out, but you still know that all of them could be efficient.
Alternative Treatment Programs in Columbus, Ohio
It might be the case that 12-step programs are not effective in your case, which is why considering alternatives is very crucial.
So here is a list of some other kinds of drug addiction treatments that might be useful:
Such programs occur in rehabilitation centers in Columbus, Ohio with expert health care providers, which is why they are considered to be among the most efficient ones. Residential programs help you to create an environment where no substance use is allowed, which is why your healing might be quicker compared to other rehab approaches.
The only disadvantage is that such programs are normally not that cheap, which is why you might need to think about other choices. However if you do not mind participating in government-based rehab programs, then you might cover the expenditures with your insurance.
Outpatient Rehabilitation Programs
These programs are rather similar to residential ones, but they permit you to continue living your life and bearing your duties, as you will not have to remain at the center throughout the day, just in the mornings and nights.
Nevertheless, because of such a format, you may have to invest a larger period of time in your rehabilitation center and deal with your physical and mental health a bit more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the fundamental idea of a 12-Step program in Columbus, OH?
The main principle of the Columbus 12 steps is that individuals can assist one another in their journey of conquering drug abuse or any other issues. And although at first, God was the central character of self-help groups, His existence is not needed these days.
Where are the 12 steps in the AA Big Schedule?
The 12 steps can be discovered in the very beginning of the book “Alcoholics Anonymous,” in the chapter called “How it works.” But you might likewise read about them in the article above and decide whether they would be handy to you.
Is there an AA 12-step workbook?
Yes, there is a workbook offered for 12 actions followers, and you can download it for free. Such workbooks are normally extremely helpful for new members, and the things that you write down in such a workbook could be gone over together with other AA members.