The 12-step program has ended up being quite popular nowadays amongst people with some addiction issues, and although initially it was created by Alcoholics Anonymous for people with alcoholic abuse as a progressive disease, the 12-step program in Pittsburgh, PA that we now understand is used more widely within various substance abuse healing groups, Narcotics Anonymous or Cocaine Anonymous for individuals with illegal drug use issues, and others.
So if you have an interest in finding out more about the 12-step programs in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and how they could be carried out in your own treatment programs, then you might want to continue reading this short article!
Pittsburgh 12-Step Program Company
As you could have guessed, the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 12-step program includes in itself 12 various spiritual principles and standards that ought to be used by numerous support groups to assist its members conquer their problems.
So here are these 12 actions created by Alcoholics Anonymous for its AA members to be used in Pittsburgh, PA, or any other location:
- Confess your weakness for alcohol;
- Discover a Power greater than yourself, and think that a Power like that might restore us to sanity;
- Turn your will over to God so that he can restore us and look after all these defects that we have;
- Make a personal inventory of yourself, find the root of your problems, and confess to yourself;
- Confess to God and other individuals the exact nature of your sins;
- Enable God to eliminate all these defects that you have today, and that interfere with your everyday life in a negative method;
- Do not be afraid to request for God’s help while you are going through this browsing and fearless moral inventory of yourself;
- Right down a list of all the people that you have actually injured prior to;
- Say sorry prior to anyone that you have actually harmed unless these direct amends and your existence in the lives of these individuals would hurt them even more;
- Never stop your personal recovery process. Be ready to apologize whenever you understand that you remain in the wrong, as it is the spiritual foundation of your healing;
- Use prayers and meditation as a way to improve your conscious contact with God in whatever form that you imagine Him;
Once you are ready, move all of your knowledge and experience to other individuals with substance abuse problems and, naturally, continue to practice the principles of 12-step programs throughout your life, as your personal recovery depends upon them.
Pittsburgh, PA 12-step Programs and Their Principles
Aside from the 12 guidelines described above, twelve-step programs also consist of 12 traditions that are connected with the organization of Alcoholics Anonymous groups in general and not with the process through which every one of their individuals is going through.
And here are these 12 customs:
- You do not require more than a genuine desire to stop drinking in order to get an AA membership and attend meetings of your group;
- The primary purpose of any AA group is to move the principles of 12-step treatment programs to those who have a substance use issue;
- The whole group’s conscience and well-being are more vital than that of any individual separately, as the group function of recuperating from an health problem depends upon the AA unity;
- The one ultimate authority of all AA groups is God himself, in whatever form we imagine Him. And therefore, the leaders of any AA group are simply His servants;
- Each Alcoholics Anonymous need to be produced independently from all others;
- AA groups must always remain non-financial organizations so that nobody would get sidetracked from the main function of AA groups, which is to assist those with substance abuse issues in their spiritual development;
- Aside from being no-financial, AA groups should also stay self-support groups, suggesting that any type of assistance from others ought to be rejected;
- AA groups are nonprofessional, which is why their leaders must not be related to medicine or psychology. The only possible exception is to employ special workers from substance abuse treatment service centers;
- Aside from AA groups being totally self-supporting, they ought to also remain non-organized groups, but they could create service boards or committees directly responsible for the aid to be received by those they serve;
- Alcoholics Anonymous must not have an viewpoint on any outside matter so that the name of the groups and their treatment programs would not be used in public conflicts. AA leaders need to bear in mind that the individuals of their groups have a right to maintain personal anonymity;
- Public relations could be utilized only with the aim of drawing in those in need and not for promoting the service centers and their functions;
- The assisting hand of others is not the only requirement of AA groups; anonymity is the 2nd one. This principle advises us that collectively-accepted guidelines need to be more vital than every individual’s desires, especially when it pertains to group collaboration.
12 Step Programs’ Interpretations in Pittsburgh, PA
As you can see, the firstly produced version of the 12-step program is based on the spiritual awakening principles, however time has assisted the program to establish and become less based on God if that is what you want.
For some of you who are not as much of believers in God, it would be excellent to know that such spiritual focus is in fact not the main characteristic that assists individuals to recuperate. Your own recovery depends more by yourself interpretation of the 12 steps and on the social support of individuals who assist you in that process. Approval of some higher power greater than us does not always indicate that God is that power; it might likewise be our AA or any other group that might assist us with all our affairs and troubles.
There are several 12-step programs in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania these days, which is why you will have no trouble discovering the ones in your regional community that matches your requirement the most, no matter whether it will be related to belief in God or not.
Twelve Steps Benefits
As we already know, one of the main concepts of 12-step programs is anonymity, which is why it is quite impossible to collect data on its effectiveness. However what we do understand is that 74% of U.S.A. treatment centers are utilizing 12 step programs as one of the treatment possibilities for its visitors. What is more, the individuals of this problem were discovered to be alcohol abstinent for longer periods of time.
And as some of the insurance plan can cover your expenses of going through a 12-step program in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, it would be reasonable why 12 steps have actually ended up being so popular in the last years.
Thus, knowing that 12 actions programs are popular and extensively accepted throughout the world, we can say for sure that this kind of treatment is effective; we simply do not know for whom. You can compare 12-step programs to treatment types: you can never understand for sure whether a specific method is working for you unless you try it out, but you still understand that all of them could be reliable.
Alternative Treatment Programs in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
It might be the case that 12-step programs are not effective in your case, which is why considering options is really essential.
So here is a list of some other types of drug addiction treatments that might be handy:
Such programs happen in rehabilitation centers in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania with expert healthcare providers, which is why they are considered to be among the most effective ones. Residential programs help you to create an environment where no substance use is permitted, which is why your healing might be quicker compared to other rehabilitation methods.
The only disadvantage is that such programs are typically not that inexpensive, which is why you might require to consider other options. However if you do incline participating in government-based rehab programs, then you may cover the expenditures with your insurance coverage.
Outpatient Rehab Programs
These programs are quite similar to property ones, but they permit you to continue living your life and bearing your obligations, as you will not have to remain at the center throughout the day, just in the mornings and nights.
However, because of such a format, you might have to spend a bigger time period in your rehab center and deal with your physical and mental health a bit more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the fundamental idea of a 12-Step program in Pittsburgh, PA?
The primary idea of the Pittsburgh 12 steps is that people can assist one another in their journey of conquering drug abuse or any other problems. And although at first, God was the central character of self-help groups, His existence is not essential nowadays.
Where are the 12 steps in the AA Big Schedule?
The 12 steps can be found in the very start of the book “Alcoholics Anonymous,” in the chapter called “How it works.” But you might also read about them in the article above and decide whether they would be handy to you.
Exists an AA 12-step workbook?
Yes, there is a workbook available for 12 actions fans, and you can download it totally free. Such workbooks are usually very useful for new members, and the things that you jot down in such a workbook could be discussed together with other AA members.