The 12-step program has become quite popular nowadays amongst individuals with some dependency issues, and although originally it was created by Alcoholics Anonymous for individuals with alcoholic abuse as a progressive illness, the 12-step program in Norman, OK that we now understand is used more widely within various substance abuse healing groups, Narcotics Anonymous or Cocaine Anonymous for people with illegal drug use issues, and others.
So if you have an interest in finding out more about the 12-step programs in Norman, Oklahoma and how they could be executed in your own treatment programs, then you might wish to continue reading this short article!
Norman 12-Step Program Organization
As you might have thought, the Norman, Oklahoma 12-step program consists of in itself 12 various spiritual principles and standards that need to be used by various support groups to help its members overcome their issues.
So here are these 12 actions created by Alcoholics Anonymous for its AA members to be used in Norman, OK, or any other location:
- Confess your weakness for alcohol;
- Find a Power greater than yourself, and believe that a Power like that could restore us to sanity;
- Turn your will over to God so that he can restore us and look after all these defects that we have;
- Make a personal inventory of yourself, discover the root of your problems, and confess to yourself;
- Admit to God and other individuals the exact nature of your sins;
- Allow God to remove all these defects that you have right now, and that disrupt your day-to-day life in a negative way;
- Do not be afraid to ask for God’s help while you are going through this searching and fearless moral inventory of yourself;
- Right down a list of all individuals that you have hurt before;
- Say sorry prior to anybody that you have injured unless these direct amends and your presence in the lives of these people would hurt them even more;
- Never stop your personal recovery process. Be ready to say sorry whenever you comprehend that you are in the wrong, as it is the spiritual foundation of your healing;
- Use prayers and meditation as a way to improve your conscious contact with God in whatever kind that you imagine Him;
Once you are ready, transfer all of your understanding and experience to other people with substance abuse issues and, of course, continue to practice the principles of 12-step programs throughout your life, as your personal recovery depends upon them.
Norman, OK 12-step Programs and Their Principles
Aside from the 12 guidelines explained above, twelve-step programs likewise include 12 traditions that are connected with the organization of Alcoholics Anonymous groups in general and not with the process through which every one of their participants is going through.
And here are these 12 traditions:
- You do not require more than a genuine desire to stop drinking in order to get an AA membership and attend meetings of your group;
- The main purpose of any AA group is to transfer the concepts of 12-step treatment programs to those who have a substance use problem;
- The whole group’s conscience and well-being are more vital than that of any individual separately, as the group purpose of recovering from an health problem depends on the AA unity;
- The one ultimate authority of all AA groups is God himself, in whatever kind we picture Him. And therefore, the leaders of any AA group are simply His servants;
- Each Alcoholics Anonymous need to be produced separately from all others;
- AA groups should always stay non-financial organizations so that no one would get sidetracked from the primary function of AA groups, which is to assist those with substance abuse issues in their spiritual growth;
- Aside from being no-financial, AA groups must likewise remain self-support groups, meaning that any type of assistance from others must be rejected;
- AA groups are nonprofessional, which is why their leaders must not be connected to medicine or psychology. The only possible exception is to employ special workers from substance abuse treatment service centers;
- Aside from AA groups being fully self-supporting, they need to also remain non-organized groups, however they could create service boards or committees directly responsible for the assistance to be gotten by those they serve;
- Alcoholics Anonymous ought to not have an opinion on any outside matter so that the name of the groups and their treatment programs would not be used in public conflicts. AA leaders ought to remember that the individuals of their groups have a right to maintain personal anonymity;
- Public relations could be utilized just with the aim of bring in those in need and not for promoting the service centers and their functions;
- The helping hand of others is not the only requirement of AA groups; anonymity is the 2nd one. This principle advises us that collectively-accepted rules must be more crucial than every individual’s desires, especially when it concerns group partnership.
12 Step Programs’ Analyses in Norman, OK
As you can see, the firstly created variation of the 12-step program is based on the spiritual awakening concepts, however time has actually assisted the program to develop and end up being less dependent on God if that is what you want.
For a few of you who are not as much of followers in God, it would be great to understand that such spiritual focus is actually not the main attribute that helps individuals to recuperate. Your own recovery depends more by yourself analysis of the 12 steps and on the social assistance of individuals who help you because process. Acceptance of some higher power greater than us does not necessarily imply that God is that power; it could likewise be our AA or any other group that might assist us with all our affairs and troubles.
There are several 12-step programs in Norman, Oklahoma these days, which is why you will have no trouble discovering the ones in your local neighborhood that fits your need the most, no matter whether it will be connected to belief in God or not.
Twelve Steps Benefits
As we already know, among the main concepts of 12-step programs is anonymity, which is why it is rather difficult to gather information on its effectiveness. But what we do understand is that 74% of USA treatment centers are using 12 step programs as one of the treatment possibilities for its visitors. What is more, the individuals of this issue were discovered to be alcohol abstinent for longer amount of times.
And as a few of the insurance plan can cover your costs of going through a 12-step program in Norman, Oklahoma, it would be reasonable why 12 actions have actually ended up being so popular in the last years.
Hence, knowing that 12 actions programs are popular and commonly accepted throughout the world, we can say for sure that this type of treatment is effective; we just do not know for whom. You can compare 12-step programs to treatment types: you can never ever know for sure whether a specific approach is working for you unless you try it out, but you still know that all of them could be efficient.
Alternative Treatment Programs in Norman, Oklahoma
It might be the case that 12-step programs are ineffective in your case, which is why thinking about options is really crucial.
So here is a list of some other types of drug addiction treatments that might be practical:
Such programs take place in rehab centers in Norman, Oklahoma with expert healthcare service providers, which is why they are thought about to be one of the most effective ones. Residential programs help you to produce an environment where no substance use is allowed, which is why your recovery might be much faster compared to other rehabilitation methods.
The only drawback is that such programs are normally not that inexpensive, which is why you might need to think about other choices. However if you do not mind taking part in government-based rehab programs, then you may cover the expenditures with your insurance.
Outpatient Rehabilitation Programs
These programs are quite comparable to residential ones, but they allow you to continue living your life and bearing your obligations, as you will not need to stay at the center all the time, simply in the early mornings and nights.
Nevertheless, because of such a format, you may need to invest a larger time period in your rehab center and deal with your physical and mental health a bit more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the fundamental concept of a 12-Step program in Norman, OK?
The main principle of the Norman 12 steps is that people can help one another in their journey of getting rid of drug abuse or any other issues. And although at first, God was the central character of self-help groups, His existence is not essential these days.
Where are the 12 steps in the AA Big Book?
The 12 actions can be discovered in the very start of the book “Alcoholics Anonymous,” in the chapter called “How it works.” But you might also check out them in the article above and choose whether they would be useful to you.
Is there an AA 12-step workbook?
Yes, there is a workbook available for 12 actions fans, and you can download it for free. Such workbooks are typically very practical for new members, and the things that you write down in such a workbook could be discussed together with other AA members.