The 12-step program has become rather popular these days among individuals with some dependency issues, and although initially it was produced by Alcoholics Anonymous for individuals with alcohol abuse as a progressive health problem, the 12-step program in Manhattan, NY that we now understand is used more extensively within various substance abuse recovery groups, Narcotics Anonymous or Drug Anonymous for individuals with illegal drug use problems, and others.
So if you have an interest in discovering more about the 12-step programs in Manhattan, New York and how they could be carried out in your own treatment programs, then you might want to continue reading this article!
Manhattan 12-Step Program Company
As you could have guessed, the Manhattan, New York 12-step program consists of in itself 12 different spiritual principles and standards that should be utilized by different support groups to assist its members overcome their issues.
So here are these 12 steps created by Alcoholics Anonymous for its AA members to be used in Manhattan, NY, or any other location:
- Admit your weakness for alcohol;
- Find a Power greater than yourself, and believe that a Power like that could restore us to sanity;
- Turn your will over to God so that he can restore us and take care of all these defects that we have;
- Make a personal inventory of yourself, discover the root of your problems, and confess to yourself;
- Admit to God and other people the exact nature of your sins;
- Allow God to get rid of all these defects that you have today, and that interfere with your everyday life in a negative method;
- Do not hesitate to ask for God’s help while you are going through this searching and fearless moral inventory of yourself;
- Right down a list of all the people that you have actually injured prior to;
- Say sorry before anybody that you have harmed unless these direct amends and your presence in the lives of these people would hurt them even more;
- Never stop your personal recovery process. Be ready to apologize whenever you understand that you are in the incorrect, as it is the spiritual foundation of your recovery;
- Use prayers and meditation as a way to improve your conscious contact with God in whatever form that you picture Him;
Once you are ready, transfer all of your understanding and experience to other individuals with substance abuse issues and, obviously, continue to practice the principles of 12-step programs throughout your life, as your personal recovery depends on them.
Manhattan, NY 12-step Programs and Their Principles
Aside from the 12 standards described above, twelve-step programs also consist of 12 traditions that are connected with the company of Alcoholics Anonymous groups in general and not with the process through which each of their participants is going through.
And here are these 12 customs:
- You do not need more than a sincere desire to stop drinking in order to get an AA subscription and attend meetings of your group;
- The main function of any AA group is to transfer the principles of 12-step treatment programs to those who have a substance use issue;
- The whole group’s conscience and welfare are more crucial than that of any private individually, as the group purpose of recuperating from an health problem depends on the AA unity;
- The one ultimate authority of all AA groups is God himself, in whatever form we imagine Him. And therefore, the leaders of any AA group are simply His servants;
- Each Alcoholics Anonymous need to be produced individually from all others;
- AA groups must constantly remain non-financial companies so that nobody would get distracted from the primary purpose of AA groups, which is to help those with substance abuse issues in their spiritual growth;
- Aside from being no-financial, AA groups ought to likewise remain self-support groups, suggesting that any type of help from others must be rejected;
- AA groups are nonprofessional, which is why their leaders need to not be related to medication or psychology. The only possible exception is to employ special workers from substance abuse treatment service centers;
- Aside from AA groups being totally self-supporting, they need to also remain non-organized groups, however they could create service boards or committees directly responsible for the assistance to be received by those they serve;
- Alcoholics Anonymous must not have an opinion on any outside matter so that the name of the groups and their treatment programs would not be utilized in public fights. AA leaders need to keep in mind that the individuals of their groups have a right to maintain personal anonymity;
- Public relations could be used just with the goal of drawing in those in need and not for promoting the service centers and their functions;
- The helping hand of others is not the only requirement of AA groups; anonymity is the second one. This principle advises us that collectively-accepted guidelines should be more vital than every individual’s desires, specifically when it pertains to group collaboration.
12 Step Programs’ Interpretations in Manhattan, NY
As you can see, the to start with created variation of the 12-step program is based on the spiritual awakening principles, however time has actually helped the program to establish and end up being less based on God if that is what you desire.
For some of you who are not as much of followers in God, it would be excellent to understand that such spiritual focus is in fact not the main characteristic that assists people to recover. Your own healing depends more by yourself analysis of the 12 actions and on the social assistance of people who help you because procedure. Acceptance of some higher power greater than us does not always mean that God is that power; it might likewise be our AA or any other group that might assist us with all our affairs and difficulties.
There are several 12-step programs in Manhattan, New York nowadays, which is why you will have no trouble discovering the ones in your regional community that matches your requirement the most, no matter whether it will be connected to belief in God or not.
Twelve Steps Benefits
As we currently understand, among the main principles of 12-step programs is privacy, which is why it is quite difficult to collect data on its effectiveness. But what we do understand is that 74% of USA treatment centers are using 12 step programs as one of the treatment possibilities for its visitors. What is more, the individuals of this issue were discovered to be alcohol abstinent for longer periods of time.
And as a few of the insurance policies can cover your costs of going through a 12-step program in Manhattan, New York, it would be understandable why 12 actions have ended up being so popular in the last years.
Therefore, knowing that 12 actions programs are popular and extensively accepted throughout the world, we can state for sure that this kind of treatment works; we simply do not know for whom. You can compare 12-step programs to treatment types: you can never know for sure whether a particular method is working for you unless you try it out, but you still understand that all of them could be reliable.
Option Treatment Programs in Manhattan, New York
It might be the case that 12-step programs are ineffective in your case, which is why thinking about options is extremely crucial.
So here is a list of some other types of drug addiction treatments that might be practical:
Such programs take place in rehabilitation centers in Manhattan, New York with professional health care companies, which is why they are considered to be among the most efficient ones. Residential programs help you to create an environment where no substance use is allowed, which is why your healing might be much faster compared to other rehab approaches.
The only drawback is that such programs are typically not that cheap, which is why you may need to think about other options. But if you do not mind taking part in government-based rehab programs, then you may cover the expenditures with your insurance.
Outpatient Rehabilitation Programs
These programs are rather similar to residential ones, but they allow you to continue living your life and bearing your duties, as you will not have to stay at the center all day, simply in the mornings and nights.
Nevertheless, because of such a format, you might need to spend a bigger period of time in your rehab center and work on your physical and mental health a bit more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the fundamental principle of a 12-Step program in Manhattan, NY?
The main concept of the Manhattan 12 steps is that individuals can help one another in their journey of overcoming drug abuse or any other issues. And although initially, God was the central character of self-help groups, His existence is not needed these days.
Where are the 12 steps in the AA Big Reserve?
The 12 steps can be discovered in the very beginning of the book “Alcoholics Anonymous,” in the chapter called “How it works.” However you could likewise read about them in the post above and decide whether they would be useful to you.
Is there an AA 12-step workbook?
Yes, there is a workbook readily available for 12 actions followers, and you can download it free of charge. Such workbooks are usually really practical for new members, and the important things that you jot down in such a workbook could be discussed together with other AA members.