The 12-step program has actually ended up being quite popular nowadays among people with some dependency issues, and although originally it was created by Alcoholics Anonymous for people with alcohol abuse as a progressive illness, the 12-step program in Lowell, MA that we now know is utilized more commonly within different substance abuse healing groups, Narcotics Anonymous or Cocaine Anonymous for individuals with illicit substance abuse problems, and others.
So if you have an interest in learning more about the 12-step programs in Lowell, Massachusetts and how they could be executed in your own treatment programs, then you may want to continue reading this article!
Lowell 12-Step Program Organization
As you might have guessed, the Lowell, Massachusetts 12-step program includes in itself 12 different spiritual principles and standards that must be used by various support groups to assist its members overcome their issues.
So here are these 12 actions created by Alcoholics Anonymous for its AA members to be used in Lowell, MA, or any other location:
- Confess your weakness for alcohol;
- Discover a Power greater than yourself, and think that a Power like that could restore us to sanity;
- Turn your will over to God so that he can restore us and take care of all these defects that we have;
- Make a personal inventory of yourself, find the root of your issues, and admit it to yourself;
- Confess to God and other individuals the exact nature of your sins;
- Allow God to get rid of all these defects that you have today, and that interfere with your everyday life in a unfavorable method;
- Do not hesitate to request God’s help while you are going through this searching and fearless moral inventory of yourself;
- Right down a list of all individuals that you have harmed prior to;
- Say sorry before anybody that you have actually hurt unless these direct amends and your presence in the lives of these people would injure them much more;
- Never ever stop your personal recovery process. Be ready to say sorry whenever you comprehend that you remain in the wrong, as it is the spiritual foundation of your recovery;
- Usage prayers and meditation as a way to enhance your conscious contact with God in whatever form that you picture Him;
Once you are ready, move all of your knowledge and experience to other individuals with substance abuse issues and, obviously, continue to practice the principles of 12-step programs throughout your life, as your personal recovery depends on them.
Lowell, MA 12-step Programs and Their Principles
Aside from the 12 guidelines explained above, twelve-step programs also consist of 12 traditions that are connected with the organization of Alcoholics Anonymous groups in general and not with the procedure through which every one of their individuals is going through.
And here are these 12 customs:
- You do not require more than a genuine desire to stop drinking in order to get an AA membership and attend meetings of your group;
- The main function of any AA group is to transfer the concepts of 12-step treatment programs to those who have a substance use issue;
- The entire group’s conscience and welfare are more important than that of any specific separately, as the group function of recovering from an illness depends upon the AA unity;
- The one ultimate authority of all AA groups is God himself, in whatever type we imagine Him. And thus, the leaders of any AA group are just His servants;
- Each Alcoholics Anonymous ought to be developed individually from all others;
- AA groups must always stay non-financial companies so that nobody would get sidetracked from the primary function of AA groups, which is to assist those with substance abuse issues in their spiritual growth;
- Aside from being no-financial, AA groups must also remain self-support groups, implying that any kind of assistance from others ought to be rejected;
- AA groups are nonprofessional, which is why their leaders should not be associated with medication or psychology. The only possible exception is to employ special workers from substance abuse treatment service centers;
- Aside from AA groups being fully self-supporting, they ought to also stay non-organized groups, however they could create service boards or committees directly responsible for the aid to be gotten by those they serve;
- Alcoholics Anonymous should not have an viewpoint on any outside matter so that the name of the groups and their treatment programs would not be used in public conflicts. AA leaders need to keep in mind that the individuals of their groups have a right to maintain personal anonymity;
- Public relations could be used just with the aim of attracting those in need and not for promoting the service centers and their functions;
- The assisting hand of others is not the only requirement of AA groups; privacy is the 2nd one. This concept reminds us that collectively-accepted guidelines ought to be more important than every individual’s desires, especially when it comes to group cooperation.
12 Step Programs’ Analyses in Lowell, MA
As you can see, the first of all created version of the 12-step program is based on the spiritual awakening concepts, however time has assisted the program to establish and end up being less based on God if that is what you want.
For some of you who are not as much of followers in God, it would be excellent to know that such spiritual focus is actually not the main characteristic that helps individuals to recuperate. Your own recovery depends more by yourself analysis of the 12 steps and on the social support of individuals who assist you because process. Approval of some higher power greater than us does not always suggest that God is that power; it could likewise be our AA or any other group that might help us with all our affairs and problems.
There are several 12-step programs in Lowell, Massachusetts these days, which is why you will have no trouble discovering the ones in your regional neighborhood that matches your requirement the most, no matter whether it will be associated with belief in God or not.
Twelve Steps Benefits
As we already understand, one of the primary principles of 12-step programs is anonymity, which is why it is quite impossible to gather data on its effectiveness. But what we do understand is that 74% of U.S.A. treatment centers are utilizing 12 step programs as one of the treatment possibilities for its visitors. What is more, the participants of this issue were found to be alcohol abstinent for longer amount of times.
And as some of the insurance policies can cover your costs of going through a 12-step program in Lowell, Massachusetts, it would be understandable why 12 actions have become so popular in the last years.
Thus, knowing that 12 steps programs are popular and commonly accepted throughout the world, we can say for sure that this kind of treatment works; we just do not know for whom. You can compare 12-step programs to treatment types: you can never ever know for sure whether a specific method is working for you unless you try it out, but you still know that all of them could be effective.
Option Treatment Programs in Lowell, Massachusetts
It might be the case that 12-step programs are ineffective in your case, which is why thinking about alternatives is really important.
So here is a list of some other types of drug addiction treatments that might be helpful:
Such programs take place in rehabilitation centers in Lowell, Massachusetts with professional healthcare service providers, which is why they are considered to be among the most effective ones. Residential programs assist you to create an environment where no substance use is allowed, which is why your recovery might be quicker compared to other rehab techniques.
The only downside is that such programs are usually not that low-cost, which is why you might need to consider other options. However if you do not mind participating in government-based rehab programs, then you might cover the expenses with your insurance coverage.
Outpatient Rehab Programs
These programs are rather similar to domestic ones, but they allow you to continue living your life and bearing your obligations, as you will not have to stay at the center throughout the day, simply in the early mornings and nights.
However, because of such a format, you might have to spend a bigger time period in your rehab center and work on your physical and mental health a bit more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the fundamental concept of a 12-Step program in Lowell, MA?
The main principle of the Lowell 12 steps is that people can help one another in their journey of overcoming drug abuse or any other issues. And although initially, God was the central character of self-help groups, His presence is not necessary these days.
Where are the 12 steps in the AA Big Schedule?
The 12 steps can be found in the very beginning of the book “Alcoholics Anonymous,” in the chapter called “How it works.” But you might likewise check out them in the article above and choose whether they would be handy to you.
Is there an AA 12-step workbook?
Yes, there is a workbook available for 12 steps followers, and you can download it for free. Such workbooks are normally very valuable for new members, and the important things that you document in such a workbook could be discussed together with other AA members.