The 12-step program has actually become quite popular nowadays amongst people with some addiction issues, and although initially it was produced by Alcoholics Anonymous for individuals with alcohol abuse as a progressive illness, the 12-step program in Kentwood, MI that we now know is utilized more extensively within different substance abuse healing groups, Narcotics Anonymous or Drug Anonymous for individuals with illicit drug use problems, and others.
So if you are interested in discovering more about the 12-step programs in Kentwood, Michigan and how they could be implemented in your own treatment programs, then you might want to continue reading this short article!
Kentwood 12-Step Program Organization
As you might have guessed, the Kentwood, Michigan 12-step program contains in itself 12 different spiritual principles and standards that need to be utilized by various support groups to help its members overcome their issues.
So here are these 12 actions produced by Alcoholics Anonymous for its AA members to be utilized in Kentwood, MI, or any other location:
- Admit your weakness for alcohol;
- Discover a Power greater than yourself, and believe that a Power like that could restore us to sanity;
- Turn your will over to God so that he can restore us and look after all these defects that we have;
- Make a personal inventory of yourself, find the root of your issues, and admit it to yourself;
- Confess to God and other individuals the exact nature of your sins;
- Permit God to get rid of all these defects that you have today, and that hinder your everyday life in a negative way;
- Do not be afraid to request God’s aid while you are going through this browsing and fearless moral inventory of yourself;
- Right down a list of all the people that you have hurt before;
- Say sorry prior to anybody that you have hurt unless these direct amends and your presence in the lives of these individuals would harm them even more;
- Never stop your personal recovery process. Be ready to say sorry whenever you understand that you are in the incorrect, as it is the spiritual foundation of your healing;
- Usage prayers and meditation as a method to enhance your conscious contact with God in whatever kind that you imagine Him;
Once you are ready, transfer all of your knowledge and experience to other people with substance abuse problems and, obviously, continue to practice the principles of 12-step programs throughout your life, as your personal recovery depends upon them.
Kentwood, MI 12-step Programs and Their Concepts
Aside from the 12 standards described above, twelve-step programs likewise consist of 12 traditions that are connected with the company of Alcoholics Anonymous groups in general and not with the process through which each of their individuals is going through.
And here are these 12 traditions:
- You do not require more than a sincere desire to stop drinking in order to get an AA membership and attend meetings of your group;
- The main purpose of any AA group is to transfer the principles of 12-step treatment programs to those who have a substance use problem;
- The entire group’s conscience and welfare are more vital than that of any private individually, as the group function of recovering from an health problem depends upon the AA unity;
- The one ultimate authority of all AA groups is God himself, in whatever type we imagine Him. And hence, the leaders of any AA group are just His servants;
- Each Alcoholics Anonymous must be developed independently from all others;
- AA groups need to always stay non-financial organizations so that nobody would get distracted from the primary function of AA groups, which is to assist those with substance abuse problems in their spiritual growth;
- Aside from being no-financial, AA groups need to also remain self-support groups, indicating that any type of assistance from others should be rejected;
- AA groups are nonprofessional, which is why their leaders should not be connected to medicine or psychology. The only possible exception is to employ special workers from substance abuse treatment service centers;
- Aside from AA groups being totally self-supporting, they ought to also stay non-organized groups, however they could create service boards or committees directly responsible for the assistance to be received by those they serve;
- Alcoholics Anonymous ought to not have an viewpoint on any outdoors matter so that the name of the groups and their treatment programs would not be used in public confrontations. AA leaders need to bear in mind that the participants of their groups have a right to maintain personal anonymity;
- Public relations could be utilized only with the objective of attracting those in need and not for promoting the service centers and their functions;
- The helping hand of others is not the only requirement of AA groups; privacy is the 2nd one. This concept advises us that collectively-accepted guidelines should be more vital than every individual’s desires, especially when it concerns group partnership.
12 Step Programs’ Interpretations in Kentwood, MI
As you can see, the to start with developed version of the 12-step program is based upon the spiritual awakening concepts, but time has actually assisted the program to establish and end up being less depending on God if that is what you want.
For some of you who are not as much of believers in God, it would be great to know that such spiritual focus is really not the main attribute that helps individuals to recover. Your own recovery depends more on your own interpretation of the 12 steps and on the social assistance of individuals who assist you because procedure. Acceptance of some higher power greater than us does not necessarily mean that God is that power; it might likewise be our AA or any other group that could assist us with all our affairs and problems.
There are several 12-step programs in Kentwood, Michigan nowadays, which is why you will have no trouble finding the ones in your local community that matches your need the most, no matter whether it will be connected to belief in God or not.
Twelve Steps Benefits
As we already understand, among the main principles of 12-step programs is anonymity, which is why it is quite difficult to gather data on its efficiency. But what we do understand is that 74% of U.S.A. treatment centers are using 12 step programs as one of the treatment possibilities for its visitors. What is more, the individuals of this issue were found to be alcohol abstinent for longer amount of times.
And as some of the insurance plan can cover your expenses of going through a 12-step program in Kentwood, Michigan, it would be reasonable why 12 steps have actually become so popular in the last years.
Hence, knowing that 12 steps programs are popular and commonly accepted throughout the world, we can say for sure that this type of treatment works; we simply do not know for whom. You can compare 12-step programs to treatment types: you can never understand for sure whether a particular method is working for you unless you try it out, but you still know that all of them could be reliable.
Alternative Treatment Programs in Kentwood, Michigan
It might be the case that 12-step programs are not effective in your case, which is why thinking about alternatives is extremely crucial.
So here is a list of some other kinds of drug addiction treatments that might be valuable:
Such programs happen in rehab centers in Kentwood, Michigan with professional healthcare service providers, which is why they are thought about to be one of the most effective ones. Residential programs assist you to produce an environment where no substance use is permitted, which is why your healing might be faster compared to other rehabilitation approaches.
The only downside is that such programs are normally not that inexpensive, which is why you may need to consider other choices. However if you do incline taking part in government-based rehab programs, then you might cover the expenses with your insurance.
Outpatient Rehabilitation Programs
These programs are rather similar to domestic ones, but they enable you to continue living your life and bearing your obligations, as you will not have to stay at the center all day, simply in the mornings and nights.
Nevertheless, because of such a format, you might need to invest a bigger period of time in your rehab center and deal with your physical and mental health a bit more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the basic idea of a 12-Step program in Kentwood, MI?
The main principle of the Kentwood 12 steps is that individuals can help one another in their journey of overcoming drug abuse or any other problems. And although at first, God was the central character of self-help groups, His presence is not required nowadays.
Where are the 12 steps in the AA Big Book?
The 12 actions can be discovered in the very beginning of the book “Alcoholics Anonymous,” in the chapter called “How it works.” But you might likewise check out them in the short article above and choose whether they would be helpful to you.
Is there an AA 12-step workbook?
Yes, there is a workbook offered for 12 steps followers, and you can download it for free. Such workbooks are generally very handy for new members, and the things that you write down in such a workbook could be discussed together with other AA members.