The 12-step program has become rather popular these days amongst people with some addiction problems, and although initially it was created by Alcoholics Anonymous for people with alcoholic abuse as a progressive disease, the 12-step program in Elmira, NY that we now understand is utilized more extensively within various substance abuse recovery groups, Narcotics Anonymous or Drug Anonymous for individuals with illegal drug use problems, and others.
So if you are interested in discovering more about the 12-step programs in Elmira, New York and how they could be carried out in your own treatment programs, then you may want to continue reading this short article!
Elmira 12-Step Program Company
As you might have guessed, the Elmira, New York 12-step program contains in itself 12 different spiritual principles and standards that ought to be used by different support groups to help its members overcome their problems.
So here are these 12 steps produced by Alcoholics Anonymous for its AA members to be utilized in Elmira, NY, or any other location:
- Confess your weakness for alcohol;
- Discover a Power greater than yourself, and believe that a Power like that could restore us to sanity;
- Turn your will over to God so that he can restore us and take care of all these defects that we have;
- Make a personal inventory of yourself, find the root of your problems, and confess to yourself;
- Admit to God and other people the exact nature of your sins;
- Allow God to eliminate all these defects that you have right now, which hinder your daily life in a unfavorable method;
- Do not be afraid to ask for God’s aid while you are going through this browsing and fearless moral inventory of yourself;
- Right down a list of all individuals that you have harmed prior to;
- Say sorry before anybody that you have harmed unless these direct amends and your presence in the lives of these people would harm them even more;
- Never stop your personal recovery process. Be ready to say sorry whenever you understand that you remain in the wrong, as it is the spiritual foundation of your recovery;
- Use prayers and meditation as a method to improve your conscious contact with God in whatever form that you picture Him;
As soon as you are ready, move all of your knowledge and experience to other individuals with substance abuse problems and, naturally, continue to practice the principles of 12-step programs throughout your life, as your personal recovery depends upon them.
Elmira, NY 12-step Programs and Their Principles
Aside from the 12 standards described above, twelve-step programs also include 12 traditions that are connected with the company of Alcoholics Anonymous groups in general and not with the procedure through which each of their individuals is going through.
And here are these 12 customs:
- You do not require more than a sincere desire to stop drinking in order to get an AA membership and attend meetings of your group;
- The primary function of any AA group is to transfer the principles of 12-step treatment programs to those who have a substance use problem;
- The entire group’s conscience and well-being are more crucial than that of any specific separately, as the group function of recovering from an illness depends upon the AA unity;
- The one ultimate authority of all AA groups is God himself, in whatever type we imagine Him. And therefore, the leaders of any AA group are just His servants;
- Each Alcoholics Anonymous should be created separately from all others;
- AA groups must constantly stay non-financial companies so that nobody would get sidetracked from the main function of AA groups, which is to help those with substance abuse problems in their spiritual development;
- Aside from being no-financial, AA groups ought to likewise stay self-support groups, indicating that any type of assistance from others need to be denied;
- AA groups are nonprofessional, which is why their leaders ought to not be related to medicine or psychology. The only possible exception is to employ special workers from substance abuse treatment service centers;
- Aside from AA groups being totally self-supporting, they need to also stay non-organized groups, but they might create service boards or committees directly responsible for the help to be gotten by those they serve;
- Alcoholics Anonymous must not have an opinion on any outdoors matter so that the name of the groups and their treatment programs would not be utilized in public conflicts. AA leaders should remember that the participants of their groups have a right to maintain personal anonymity;
- Public relations could be used only with the objective of attracting those in need and not for promoting the service centers and their functions;
- The helping hand of others is not the only requirement of AA groups; anonymity is the 2nd one. This concept reminds us that collectively-accepted guidelines need to be more crucial than every individual’s desires, particularly when it comes to group cooperation.
12 Step Programs’ Interpretations in Elmira, NY
As you can see, the first of all produced version of the 12-step program is based on the spiritual awakening concepts, however time has helped the program to develop and become less depending on God if that is what you want.
For a few of you who are not as much of followers in God, it would be good to know that such spiritual focus is in fact not the main characteristic that assists people to recover. Your own healing depends more on your own interpretation of the 12 actions and on the social support of people who help you in that procedure. Acceptance of some higher power greater than us does not necessarily indicate that God is that power; it could likewise be our AA or any other group that could help us with all our affairs and difficulties.
There are many different 12-step programs in Elmira, New York these days, which is why you will have no trouble discovering the ones in your regional neighborhood that fits your need the most, no matter whether it will be associated with belief in God or not.
Twelve Steps Benefits
As we currently know, one of the main principles of 12-step programs is anonymity, which is why it is quite difficult to collect data on its effectiveness. However what we do know is that 74% of USA treatment centers are using 12 step programs as one of the treatment possibilities for its visitors. What is more, the individuals of this problem were discovered to be alcohol abstinent for longer periods of time.
And as some of the insurance policies can cover your costs of going through a 12-step program in Elmira, New York, it would be easy to understand why 12 actions have actually ended up being so popular in the last years.
Hence, knowing that 12 steps programs are popular and extensively accepted throughout the world, we can say for sure that this type of treatment works; we just do not know for whom. You can compare 12-step programs to treatment types: you can never ever know for sure whether a particular approach is working for you unless you try it out, however you still know that all of them could be efficient.
Alternative Treatment Programs in Elmira, New York
It might be the case that 12-step programs are ineffective in your case, which is why thinking about alternatives is really essential.
So here is a list of some other types of drug addiction treatments that might be helpful:
Such programs happen in rehabilitation centers in Elmira, New York with expert health care suppliers, which is why they are thought about to be one of the most efficient ones. Residential programs assist you to develop an environment where no substance use is enabled, which is why your healing might be faster compared to other rehab methods.
The only downside is that such programs are typically not that low-cost, which is why you may require to think about other choices. However if you do incline taking part in government-based rehab programs, then you might cover the expenditures with your insurance coverage.
Outpatient Rehabilitation Programs
These programs are rather similar to residential ones, however they enable you to continue living your life and bearing your responsibilities, as you will not need to stay at the center all day, simply in the mornings and nights.
However, because of such a format, you may need to spend a bigger amount of time in your rehabilitation center and work on your physical and mental health a bit more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the fundamental concept of a 12-Step program in Elmira, NY?
The primary principle of the Elmira 12 steps is that people can assist one another in their journey of conquering drug abuse or any other problems. And although initially, God was the central character of self-help groups, His existence is not needed these days.
Where are the 12 steps in the AA Big Book?
The 12 steps can be discovered in the very beginning of the book “Alcoholics Anonymous,” in the chapter called “How it works.” But you could also read about them in the post above and decide whether they would be valuable to you.
Exists an AA 12-step workbook?
Yes, there is a workbook available for 12 steps fans, and you can download it free of charge. Such workbooks are normally extremely handy for new members, and the things that you make a note of in such a workbook could be talked about together with other AA members.