The 12-step program has actually ended up being rather popular these days amongst people with some addiction issues, and although initially it was developed by Alcoholics Anonymous for people with alcoholic abuse as a progressive health problem, the 12-step program in Ankeny, IA that we now understand is used more commonly within different substance abuse healing groups, Narcotics Anonymous or Cocaine Anonymous for individuals with illegal drug use problems, and others.
So if you have an interest in finding out more about the 12-step programs in Ankeny, Iowa and how they could be implemented in your own treatment programs, then you might wish to continue reading this short article!
Ankeny 12-Step Program Organization
As you could have thought, the Ankeny, Iowa 12-step program contains in itself 12 different spiritual principles and standards that need to be used by different support groups to help its members overcome their problems.
So here are these 12 steps produced by Alcoholics Anonymous for its AA members to be used in Ankeny, IA, or any other location:
- Admit your weakness for alcohol;
- Discover a Power greater than yourself, and think that a Power like that could restore us to sanity;
- Turn your will over to God so that he can restore us and look after all these defects that we have;
- Make a personal inventory of yourself, find the root of your problems, and confess to yourself;
- Admit to God and other individuals the exact nature of your sins;
- Enable God to get rid of all these defects that you have right now, which disrupt your daily life in a unfavorable method;
- Do not be afraid to request for God’s aid while you are going through this browsing and fearless moral inventory of yourself;
- Right down a list of all the people that you have hurt prior to;
- Apologize prior to anyone that you have actually hurt unless these direct amends and your existence in the lives of these individuals would harm them a lot more;
- Never ever stop your personal recovery process. Be ready to say sorry whenever you comprehend that you are in the incorrect, as it is the spiritual foundation of your healing;
- Use prayers and meditation as a method to enhance your conscious contact with God in whatever type that you envision Him;
As soon as you are ready, transfer all of your knowledge and experience to other people with substance abuse problems and, naturally, continue to practice the concepts of 12-step programs throughout your life, as your personal recovery depends on them.
Ankeny, IA 12-step Programs and Their Concepts
Aside from the 12 standards described above, twelve-step programs likewise include 12 customs that are connected with the organization of Alcoholics Anonymous groups in general and not with the process through which each of their participants is going through.
And here are these 12 traditions:
- You do not require more than a genuine desire to stop drinking in order to get an AA subscription and attend meetings of your group;
- The primary purpose of any AA group is to transfer the concepts of 12-step treatment programs to those who have a substance use issue;
- The whole group’s conscience and welfare are more vital than that of any individual separately, as the group purpose of recovering from an disease depends upon the AA unity;
- The one ultimate authority of all AA groups is God himself, in whatever kind we envision Him. And hence, the leaders of any AA group are just His servants;
- Each Alcoholics Anonymous need to be created separately from all others;
- AA groups must constantly stay non-financial organizations so that no one would get distracted from the primary purpose of AA groups, which is to assist those with substance abuse issues in their spiritual growth;
- Aside from being no-financial, AA groups must likewise remain self-support groups, implying that any type of aid from others must be denied;
- AA groups are nonprofessional, which is why their leaders ought to not be connected to medication or psychology. The only possible exception is to employ special workers from substance abuse treatment service centers;
- Aside from AA groups being completely self-supporting, they must also remain non-organized groups, but they might create service boards or committees directly responsible for the assistance to be received by those they serve;
- Alcoholics Anonymous must not have an viewpoint on any outdoors matter so that the name of the groups and their treatment programs would not be utilized in public conflicts. AA leaders must remember that the participants of their groups have a right to maintain personal anonymity;
- Public relations could be utilized only with the objective of bring in those in need and not for promoting the service centers and their functions;
- The assisting hand of others is not the only requirement of AA groups; anonymity is the 2nd one. This concept reminds us that collectively-accepted guidelines need to be more vital than every person’s desires, particularly when it pertains to group partnership.
12 Step Programs’ Interpretations in Ankeny, IA
As you can see, the first of all produced variation of the 12-step program is based upon the spiritual awakening principles, but time has helped the program to establish and end up being less dependent on God if that is what you desire.
For some of you who are not as much of believers in God, it would be great to know that such spiritual focus is really not the main quality that helps people to recuperate. Your own recovery depends more by yourself analysis of the 12 actions and on the social support of individuals who help you because process. Acceptance of some higher power greater than us does not necessarily suggest that God is that power; it might also be our AA or any other group that might help us with all our affairs and troubles.
There are various 12-step programs in Ankeny, Iowa nowadays, which is why you will have no trouble discovering the ones in your regional community that suits your need the most, no matter whether it will be related to belief in God or not.
Twelve Steps Advantages
As we currently know, among the main concepts of 12-step programs is anonymity, which is why it is rather impossible to gather information on its efficiency. But what we do understand is that 74% of U.S.A. treatment centers are using 12 step programs as one of the treatment possibilities for its visitors. What is more, the participants of this problem were found to be alcohol abstinent for longer amount of times.
And as a few of the insurance plan can cover your expenses of going through a 12-step program in Ankeny, Iowa, it would be understandable why 12 steps have actually become so popular in the last years.
Hence, understanding that 12 actions programs are popular and commonly accepted throughout the world, we can say for sure that this type of treatment works; we just do not know for whom. You can compare 12-step programs to treatment types: you can never ever understand for sure whether a specific approach is working for you unless you try it out, but you still understand that all of them could be effective.
Alternative Treatment Programs in Ankeny, Iowa
It might be the case that 12-step programs are not effective in your case, which is why thinking about alternatives is really essential.
So here is a list of some other kinds of drug addiction treatments that might be valuable:
Such programs take place in rehab centers in Ankeny, Iowa with professional health care providers, which is why they are thought about to be among the most effective ones. Residential programs assist you to develop an environment where no substance use is permitted, which is why your recovery might be faster compared to other rehab techniques.
The only downside is that such programs are generally not that inexpensive, which is why you might need to think about other alternatives. But if you do not mind taking part in government-based rehab programs, then you may cover the expenses with your insurance.
Outpatient Rehabilitation Programs
These programs are rather similar to domestic ones, however they permit you to continue living your life and bearing your responsibilities, as you will not need to remain at the center all the time, simply in the early mornings and nights.
Nevertheless, because of such a format, you may need to invest a larger amount of time in your rehabilitation center and deal with your physical and mental health a bit more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the basic concept of a 12-Step program in Ankeny, IA?
The main idea of the Ankeny 12 steps is that people can assist one another in their journey of overcoming drug abuse or any other problems. And although initially, God was the central character of self-help groups, His existence is not required nowadays.
Where are the 12 steps in the AA Big Book?
The 12 steps can be found in the very beginning of the book “Alcoholics Anonymous,” in the chapter called “How it works.” But you could also read about them in the short article above and choose whether or not they would be handy to you.
Is there an AA 12-step workbook?
Yes, there is a workbook offered for 12 steps followers, and you can download it totally free. Such workbooks are typically extremely handy for new members, and the important things that you make a note of in such a workbook could be gone over together with other AA members.