The 12-step program has actually ended up being quite popular nowadays among people with some dependency issues, and although initially it was developed by Alcoholics Anonymous for individuals with alcohol abuse as a progressive health problem, the 12-step program in Reading, PA that we now know is used more widely within different substance abuse healing groups, Narcotics Anonymous or Cocaine Anonymous for people with illegal drug use problems, and others.
So if you have an interest in discovering more about the 12-step programs in Reading, Pennsylvania and how they could be implemented in your own treatment programs, then you might wish to continue reading this short article!
Reading 12-Step Program Company
As you might have guessed, the Reading, Pennsylvania 12-step program contains in itself 12 different spiritual principles and guidelines that must be used by numerous support groups to assist its members conquer their problems.
So here are these 12 steps developed by Alcoholics Anonymous for its AA members to be used in Reading, PA, or any other location:
- Confess your weakness for alcohol;
- Find a Power greater than yourself, and think that a Power like that might restore us to sanity;
- Turn your will over to God so that he can restore us and look after all these defects that we have;
- Make a personal inventory of yourself, find the root of your problems, and admit it to yourself;
- Confess to God and other people the exact nature of your sins;
- Allow God to remove all these defects that you have right now, which interfere with your everyday life in a unfavorable way;
- Do not hesitate to request God’s help while you are going through this searching and fearless moral inventory of yourself;
- Right down a list of all the people that you have actually harmed before;
- Apologize before anybody that you have actually hurt unless these direct amends and your presence in the lives of these individuals would harm them a lot more;
- Never stop your personal recovery process. Be ready to apologize whenever you understand that you remain in the incorrect, as it is the spiritual foundation of your recovery;
- Use prayers and meditation as a way to improve your conscious contact with God in whatever type that you imagine Him;
As soon as you are ready, transfer all of your knowledge and experience to other individuals with substance abuse problems and, of course, continue to practice the principles of 12-step programs throughout your life, as your personal recovery depends on them.
Reading, PA 12-step Programs and Their Principles
Aside from the 12 guidelines explained above, twelve-step programs likewise include 12 traditions that are gotten in touch with the organization of Alcoholics Anonymous groups in general and not with the procedure through which every one of their individuals is going through.
And here are these 12 customs:
- You do not need more than a sincere desire to stop drinking in order to get an AA subscription and attend meetings of your group;
- The main purpose of any AA group is to transfer the principles of 12-step treatment programs to those who have a substance use problem;
- The whole group’s conscience and welfare are more crucial than that of any specific individually, as the group purpose of recuperating from an illness depends on the AA unity;
- The one ultimate authority of all AA groups is God himself, in whatever form we picture Him. And thus, the leaders of any AA group are merely His servants;
- Each Alcoholics Anonymous ought to be developed separately from all others;
- AA groups ought to constantly stay non-financial companies so that no one would get distracted from the primary function of AA groups, which is to help those with substance abuse problems in their spiritual growth;
- Aside from being no-financial, AA groups must likewise stay self-support groups, indicating that any type of assistance from others must be denied;
- AA groups are nonprofessional, which is why their leaders should not be connected to medication or psychology. The only possible exception is to employ special workers from substance abuse treatment service centers;
- Aside from AA groups being totally self-supporting, they must likewise remain non-organized groups, but they could create service boards or committees directly responsible for the aid to be received by those they serve;
- Alcoholics Anonymous should not have an opinion on any outside matter so that the name of the groups and their treatment programs would not be utilized in public fights. AA leaders ought to remember that the participants of their groups have a right to maintain personal anonymity;
- Public relations could be used only with the aim of attracting those in need and not for promoting the service centers and their functions;
- The helping hand of others is not the only requirement of AA groups; privacy is the second one. This principle reminds us that collectively-accepted guidelines need to be more crucial than every individual’s desires, specifically when it pertains to group collaboration.
12 Step Programs’ Analyses in Reading, PA
As you can see, the firstly produced version of the 12-step program is based on the spiritual awakening concepts, but time has helped the program to establish and end up being less depending on God if that is what you desire.
For some of you who are not as much of followers in God, it would be great to know that such spiritual focus is in fact not the main attribute that helps individuals to recuperate. Your own healing depends more by yourself interpretation of the 12 actions and on the social support of individuals who assist you in that procedure. Approval of some higher power greater than us does not necessarily indicate that God is that power; it might likewise be our AA or any other group that could help us with all our affairs and troubles.
There are many different 12-step programs in Reading, Pennsylvania these days, which is why you will have no trouble finding the ones in your regional community that fits your need the most, no matter whether it will be associated with belief in God or not.
Twelve Steps Advantages
As we already know, one of the primary concepts of 12-step programs is anonymity, which is why it is rather impossible to collect data on its effectiveness. But what we do know is that 74% of U.S.A. treatment centers are using 12 step programs as one of the treatment possibilities for its visitors. What is more, the participants of this problem were discovered to be alcohol abstinent for longer amount of times.
And as a few of the insurance coverage can cover your costs of going through a 12-step program in Reading, Pennsylvania, it would be easy to understand why 12 steps have become so popular in the last years.
Therefore, understanding that 12 steps programs are popular and commonly accepted throughout the world, we can say for sure that this kind of treatment is effective; we simply do not know for whom. You can compare 12-step programs to therapy types: you can never ever understand for sure whether a specific technique is working for you unless you try it out, however you still know that all of them could be reliable.
Alternative Treatment Programs in Reading, Pennsylvania
It might be the case that 12-step programs are ineffective in your case, which is why thinking about alternatives is very crucial.
So here is a list of some other types of drug addiction treatments that might be valuable:
Such programs occur in rehab centers in Reading, Pennsylvania with expert health care suppliers, which is why they are thought about to be one of the most reliable ones. Residential programs help you to create an environment where no substance use is allowed, which is why your healing might be much faster compared to other rehab methods.
The only downside is that such programs are usually not that inexpensive, which is why you may need to think about other alternatives. However if you do incline taking part in government-based rehab programs, then you might cover the expenditures with your insurance coverage.
Outpatient Rehabilitation Programs
These programs are quite comparable to domestic ones, but they enable you to continue living your life and bearing your duties, as you will not need to remain at the center all the time, just in the mornings and nights.
However, because of such a format, you might have to invest a larger amount of time in your rehab center and deal with your physical and mental health a bit more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the basic principle of a 12-Step program in Reading, PA?
The primary concept of the Reading 12 steps is that individuals can help one another in their journey of overcoming drug abuse or any other problems. And although initially, God was the central character of self-help groups, His existence is not required these days.
Where are the 12 steps in the AA Big Schedule?
The 12 steps can be found in the very start of the book “Alcoholics Anonymous,” in the chapter called “How it works.” But you might also read about them in the post above and choose whether they would be valuable to you.
Is there an AA 12-step workbook?
Yes, there is a workbook readily available for 12 steps fans, and you can download it for free. Such workbooks are usually extremely helpful for new members, and the important things that you make a note of in such a workbook could be talked about together with other AA members.