The 12-step program has actually become rather popular nowadays among people with some addiction problems, and although initially it was developed by Alcoholics Anonymous for people with alcoholic abuse as a progressive illness, the 12-step program in Portsmouth, NH that we now know is used more commonly within various substance abuse healing groups, Narcotics Anonymous or Cocaine Anonymous for individuals with illegal substance abuse problems, and others.
So if you are interested in learning more about the 12-step programs in Portsmouth, New Hampshire and how they could be executed in your own treatment programs, then you may wish to continue reading this article!
Portsmouth 12-Step Program Company
As you could have guessed, the Portsmouth, New Hampshire 12-step program consists of in itself 12 different spiritual principles and standards that need to be utilized by different support groups to assist its members overcome their problems.
So here are these 12 steps produced by Alcoholics Anonymous for its AA members to be utilized in Portsmouth, NH, or any other place:
- Admit your weakness for alcohol;
- Find a Power greater than yourself, and believe that a Power like that could restore us to sanity;
- Turn your will over to God so that he can restore us and take care of all these defects that we have;
- Make a personal inventory of yourself, discover the root of your issues, and admit it to yourself;
- Confess to God and other individuals the exact nature of your sins;
- Permit God to remove all these defects that you have today, and that hinder your everyday life in a unfavorable way;
- Do not hesitate to request for God’s help while you are going through this browsing and fearless moral inventory of yourself;
- Right down a list of all the people that you have hurt prior to;
- Apologize prior to anybody that you have hurt unless these direct amends and your presence in the lives of these individuals would injure them a lot more;
- Never stop your personal recovery process. Be ready to apologize whenever you comprehend that you are in the wrong, as it is the spiritual foundation of your recovery;
- Use prayers and meditation as a method to improve your conscious contact with God in whatever type that you imagine Him;
When you are ready, move all of your knowledge and experience to other individuals with substance abuse issues and, naturally, continue to practice the concepts of 12-step programs throughout your life, as your personal recovery depends on them.
Portsmouth, NH 12-step Programs and Their Principles
Aside from the 12 standards described above, twelve-step programs likewise consist of 12 traditions that are connected with the organization of Alcoholics Anonymous groups in general and not with the process through which each of their participants is going through.
And here are these 12 traditions:
- You do not require more than a sincere desire to stop drinking in order to get an AA subscription and attend meetings of your group;
- The primary function of any AA group is to transfer the principles of 12-step treatment programs to those who have a substance use issue;
- The entire group’s conscience and well-being are more crucial than that of any private individually, as the group purpose of recuperating from an health problem depends on the AA unity;
- The one ultimate authority of all AA groups is God himself, in whatever form we envision Him. And thus, the leaders of any AA group are just His servants;
- Each Alcoholics Anonymous should be produced separately from all others;
- AA groups need to always remain non-financial organizations so that nobody would get sidetracked from the primary function of AA groups, which is to assist those with substance abuse issues in their spiritual growth;
- Aside from being no-financial, AA groups need to likewise remain self-support groups, meaning that any type of aid from others should be denied;
- AA groups are nonprofessional, which is why their leaders should not be connected to medication or psychology. The only possible exception is to employ special workers from substance abuse treatment service centers;
- Aside from AA groups being fully self-supporting, they ought to likewise remain non-organized groups, but they might create service boards or committees directly responsible for the help to be received by those they serve;
- Alcoholics Anonymous need to not have an viewpoint on any outdoors matter so that the name of the groups and their treatment programs would not be used in public confrontations. AA leaders need to keep in mind that the participants of their groups have a right to maintain personal anonymity;
- Public relations could be utilized just with the goal of bring in those in need and not for promoting the service centers and their functions;
- The assisting hand of others is not the only requirement of AA groups; privacy is the second one. This concept advises us that collectively-accepted guidelines must be more important than every individual’s desires, specifically when it pertains to group collaboration.
12 Step Programs’ Interpretations in Portsmouth, NH
As you can see, the firstly produced version of the 12-step program is based upon the spiritual awakening concepts, but time has actually helped the program to establish and end up being less dependent on God if that is what you want.
For a few of you who are not as much of believers in God, it would be great to know that such spiritual focus is really not the main attribute that helps people to recuperate. Your own healing depends more by yourself interpretation of the 12 actions and on the social support of people who assist you because procedure. Approval of some higher power greater than us does not necessarily indicate that God is that power; it might likewise be our AA or any other group that might assist us with all our affairs and troubles.
There are several 12-step programs in Portsmouth, New Hampshire nowadays, which is why you will have no trouble discovering the ones in your local community that suits your requirement the most, no matter whether it will be related to belief in God or not.
Twelve Steps Advantages
As we already understand, among the main principles of 12-step programs is anonymity, which is why it is quite impossible to gather information on its effectiveness. But what we do understand is that 74% of USA treatment centers are using 12 step programs as one of the treatment possibilities for its visitors. What is more, the participants of this problem were found to be alcohol abstinent for longer amount of times.
And as a few of the insurance coverage can cover your costs of going through a 12-step program in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, it would be easy to understand why 12 steps have become so popular in the last years.
Therefore, understanding that 12 actions programs are popular and widely accepted throughout the world, we can say for sure that this kind of treatment works; we simply do not know for whom. You can compare 12-step programs to therapy types: you can never know for sure whether a specific technique is working for you unless you try it out, but you still understand that all of them could be effective.
Alternative Treatment Programs in Portsmouth, New Hampshire
It might be the case that 12-step programs are not effective in your case, which is why thinking about alternatives is very crucial.
So here is a list of some other types of drug addiction treatments that might be valuable:
Such programs happen in rehabilitation centers in Portsmouth, New Hampshire with professional health care providers, which is why they are considered to be one of the most efficient ones. Residential programs assist you to develop an environment where no substance use is enabled, which is why your recovery might be faster compared to other rehab approaches.
The only downside is that such programs are usually not that cheap, which is why you might require to think about other options. However if you do incline participating in government-based rehab programs, then you may cover the expenses with your insurance.
Outpatient Rehabilitation Programs
These programs are rather comparable to residential ones, however they enable you to continue living your life and bearing your responsibilities, as you will not need to remain at the center all the time, just in the early mornings and nights.
Nevertheless, because of such a format, you might have to spend a larger amount of time in your rehab center and deal with your physical and mental health a bit more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the fundamental concept of a 12-Step program in Portsmouth, NH?
The main concept of the Portsmouth 12 steps is that individuals can help one another in their journey of conquering drug abuse or any other issues. And although at first, God was the central character of self-help groups, His presence is not needed these days.
Where are the 12 steps in the AA Big Schedule?
The 12 actions can be found in the very beginning of the book “Alcoholics Anonymous,” in the chapter called “How it works.” However you could likewise read about them in the article above and choose whether they would be helpful to you.
Exists an AA 12-step workbook?
Yes, there is a workbook available for 12 steps fans, and you can download it for free. Such workbooks are typically really valuable for new members, and the important things that you document in such a workbook could be gone over together with other AA members.