The 12-step program has actually become quite popular nowadays amongst individuals with some dependency issues, and although initially it was developed by Alcoholics Anonymous for people with alcoholic abuse as a progressive health problem, the 12-step program in Portage, MI that we now know is utilized more extensively within different substance abuse recovery groups, Narcotics Anonymous or Drug Anonymous for individuals with illegal substance abuse problems, and others.
So if you are interested in learning more about the 12-step programs in Portage, Michigan and how they could be carried out in your own treatment programs, then you may want to continue reading this post!
Portage 12-Step Program Company
As you might have guessed, the Portage, Michigan 12-step program contains in itself 12 various spiritual principles and guidelines that need to be utilized by various support groups to help its members overcome their issues.
So here are these 12 actions created by Alcoholics Anonymous for its AA members to be used in Portage, MI, or any other place:
- Confess your weakness for alcohol;
- Find a Power greater than yourself, and believe that a Power like that could restore us to sanity;
- Turn your will over to God so that he can restore us and take care of all these defects that we have;
- Make a personal inventory of yourself, discover the root of your issues, and admit it to yourself;
- Admit to God and other people the exact nature of your sins;
- Permit God to get rid of all these defects that you have right now, and that interfere with your everyday life in a unfavorable method;
- Do not hesitate to ask for God’s aid while you are going through this browsing and fearless moral inventory of yourself;
- Right down a list of all individuals that you have actually hurt prior to;
- Apologize before anyone that you have hurt unless these direct amends and your existence in the lives of these people would hurt them even more;
- Never stop your personal recovery process. Be ready to say sorry whenever you comprehend that you remain in the incorrect, as it is the spiritual foundation of your healing;
- Use prayers and meditation as a method to enhance your conscious contact with God in whatever kind that you picture Him;
As soon as you are ready, transfer all of your knowledge and experience to other individuals with substance abuse problems and, obviously, continue to practice the principles of 12-step programs throughout your life, as your personal recovery depends upon them.
Portage, MI 12-step Programs and Their Principles
Aside from the 12 guidelines explained above, twelve-step programs also consist of 12 traditions that are connected with the organization of Alcoholics Anonymous groups in general and not with the procedure through which every one of their participants is going through.
And here are these 12 traditions:
- You do not need more than a sincere desire to stop drinking in order to get an AA subscription and attend meetings of your group;
- The primary function of any AA group is to transfer the concepts of 12-step treatment programs to those who have a substance use issue;
- The whole group’s conscience and welfare are more vital than that of any private individually, as the group purpose of recovering from an illness depends upon the AA unity;
- The one ultimate authority of all AA groups is God himself, in whatever form we picture Him. And hence, the leaders of any AA group are merely His servants;
- Each Alcoholics Anonymous need to be developed independently from all others;
- AA groups need to constantly remain non-financial organizations so that nobody would get sidetracked from the main purpose of AA groups, which is to help those with substance abuse issues in their spiritual growth;
- Aside from being no-financial, AA groups ought to also stay self-support groups, meaning that any kind of aid from others should be rejected;
- AA groups are nonprofessional, which is why their leaders ought to not be related to medication or psychology. The only possible exception is to employ special workers from substance abuse treatment service centers;
- Aside from AA groups being totally self-supporting, they ought to likewise stay non-organized groups, however they might create service boards or committees directly responsible for the help to be gotten by those they serve;
- Alcoholics Anonymous should not have an viewpoint on any outside matter so that the name of the groups and their treatment programs would not be used in public conflicts. AA leaders need to bear in mind that the participants of their groups have a right to maintain personal anonymity;
- Public relations could be utilized only with the objective of bring in those in need and not for promoting the service centers and their functions;
- The helping hand of others is not the only requirement of AA groups; privacy is the 2nd one. This concept reminds us that collectively-accepted guidelines ought to be more vital than every person’s desires, specifically when it concerns group partnership.
12 Step Programs’ Interpretations in Portage, MI
As you can see, the first of all produced variation of the 12-step program is based upon the spiritual awakening concepts, but time has helped the program to establish and become less depending on God if that is what you want.
For some of you who are not as much of followers in God, it would be good to know that such spiritual focus is actually not the main characteristic that assists individuals to recover. Your own healing depends more by yourself analysis of the 12 steps and on the social assistance of people who assist you because procedure. Approval of some higher power greater than us does not always mean that God is that power; it might also be our AA or any other group that might assist us with all our affairs and troubles.
There are many different 12-step programs in Portage, Michigan nowadays, which is why you will have no trouble finding the ones in your regional community that suits your requirement the most, no matter whether it will be connected to belief in God or not.
Twelve Steps Benefits
As we currently know, among the main concepts of 12-step programs is privacy, which is why it is rather impossible to gather data on its effectiveness. However what we do understand is that 74% of USA treatment centers are utilizing 12 step programs as one of the treatment possibilities for its visitors. What is more, the individuals of this issue were discovered to be alcohol abstinent for longer time periods.
And as a few of the insurance policies can cover your expenses of going through a 12-step program in Portage, Michigan, it would be easy to understand why 12 steps have become so popular in the ins 2015.
Hence, understanding that 12 actions programs are popular and commonly accepted throughout the world, we can state for sure that this kind of treatment works; we just do not know for whom. You can compare 12-step programs to treatment types: you can never ever understand for sure whether a particular method is working for you unless you try it out, however you still know that all of them could be efficient.
Alternative Treatment Programs in Portage, Michigan
It might be the case that 12-step programs are not effective in your case, which is why considering options is really crucial.
So here is a list of some other types of drug addiction treatments that might be helpful:
Such programs take place in rehab centers in Portage, Michigan with professional health care suppliers, which is why they are considered to be one of the most effective ones. Residential programs help you to develop an environment where no substance use is enabled, which is why your healing might be much faster compared to other rehabilitation methods.
The only downside is that such programs are normally not that cheap, which is why you may need to think about other alternatives. But if you do incline participating in government-based rehab programs, then you might cover the expenditures with your insurance coverage.
Outpatient Rehabilitation Programs
These programs are rather similar to residential ones, however they permit you to continue living your life and bearing your responsibilities, as you will not have to remain at the center all day, simply in the early mornings and nights.
However, because of such a format, you might have to invest a bigger period of time in your rehab center and deal with your physical and mental health a bit more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the fundamental concept of a 12-Step program in Portage, MI?
The main idea of the Portage 12 steps is that people can assist one another in their journey of getting rid of drug abuse or any other issues. And although initially, God was the central character of self-help groups, His presence is not required these days.
Where are the 12 steps in the AA Big Book?
The 12 steps can be discovered in the very start of the book “Alcoholics Anonymous,” in the chapter called “How it works.” But you could also read about them in the post above and choose whether they would be valuable to you.
Is there an AA 12-step workbook?
Yes, there is a workbook readily available for 12 actions fans, and you can download it free of charge. Such workbooks are typically extremely valuable for new members, and the things that you write down in such a workbook could be talked about together with other AA members.