The 12-step program has actually become quite popular nowadays among people with some addiction issues, and although initially it was created by Alcoholics Anonymous for individuals with alcohol abuse as a progressive illness, the 12-step program in Oakland, CA that we now understand is used more commonly within different substance abuse healing groups, Narcotics Anonymous or Cocaine Anonymous for individuals with illicit drug use issues, and others.
So if you have an interest in finding out more about the 12-step programs in Oakland, California and how they could be implemented in your own treatment programs, then you may wish to continue reading this article!
Oakland 12-Step Program Organization
As you might have guessed, the Oakland, California 12-step program includes in itself 12 various spiritual principles and standards that should be used by various support groups to help its members conquer their problems.
So here are these 12 steps created by Alcoholics Anonymous for its AA members to be used in Oakland, CA, or any other location:
- Confess your weakness for alcohol;
- Find a Power greater than yourself, and believe that a Power like that might restore us to sanity;
- Turn your will over to God so that he can restore us and take care of all these defects that we have;
- Make a personal inventory of yourself, discover the root of your issues, and admit it to yourself;
- Confess to God and other individuals the exact nature of your sins;
- Permit God to get rid of all these defects that you have today, and that disrupt your daily life in a unfavorable way;
- Do not hesitate to request for God’s help while you are going through this browsing and fearless moral inventory of yourself;
- Right down a list of all individuals that you have harmed before;
- Ask forgiveness before anyone that you have injured unless these direct amends and your presence in the lives of these people would injure them a lot more;
- Never stop your personal recovery process. Be ready to apologize whenever you comprehend that you remain in the wrong, as it is the spiritual foundation of your healing;
- Use prayers and meditation as a way to enhance your conscious contact with God in whatever form that you envision Him;
As soon as you are ready, transfer all of your understanding and experience to other individuals with substance abuse issues and, obviously, continue to practice the concepts of 12-step programs throughout your life, as your personal recovery depends on them.
Oakland, CA 12-step Programs and Their Concepts
Aside from the 12 standards explained above, twelve-step programs likewise include 12 customs that are connected with the company of Alcoholics Anonymous groups in general and not with the process through which each of their participants is going through.
And here are these 12 traditions:
- You do not need more than a genuine desire to stop drinking in order to get an AA subscription and attend meetings of your group;
- The main function of any AA group is to transfer the concepts of 12-step treatment programs to those who have a substance use problem;
- The entire group’s conscience and welfare are more vital than that of any specific independently, as the group function of recuperating from an health problem depends upon the AA unity;
- The one ultimate authority of all AA groups is God himself, in whatever form we envision Him. And hence, the leaders of any AA group are just His servants;
- Each Alcoholics Anonymous ought to be developed individually from all others;
- AA groups must constantly remain non-financial companies so that nobody would get sidetracked from the main purpose of AA groups, which is to assist those with substance abuse problems in their spiritual development;
- Aside from being no-financial, AA groups ought to also remain self-support groups, indicating that any kind of aid from others need to be rejected;
- AA groups are nonprofessional, which is why their leaders must not be associated with medicine or psychology. The only possible exception is to employ special workers from substance abuse treatment service centers;
- Aside from AA groups being completely self-supporting, they need to likewise remain non-organized groups, but they could create service boards or committees directly responsible for the help to be received by those they serve;
- Alcoholics Anonymous ought to not have an opinion on any outside matter so that the name of the groups and their treatment programs would not be used in public confrontations. AA leaders should keep in mind that the participants of their groups have a right to maintain personal anonymity;
- Public relations could be utilized just with the goal of bring in those in need and not for promoting the service centers and their functions;
- The assisting hand of others is not the only requirement of AA groups; anonymity is the second one. This principle reminds us that collectively-accepted guidelines ought to be more important than every person’s desires, specifically when it comes to group cooperation.
12 Step Programs’ Analyses in Oakland, CA
As you can see, the to start with produced version of the 12-step program is based upon the spiritual awakening concepts, however time has assisted the program to develop and become less dependent on God if that is what you desire.
For a few of you who are not as much of believers in God, it would be great to know that such spiritual focus is actually not the main attribute that assists people to recuperate. Your own recovery depends more on your own interpretation of the 12 actions and on the social support of people who help you because process. Acceptance of some higher power greater than us does not always mean that God is that power; it might also be our AA or any other group that might help us with all our affairs and difficulties.
There are various 12-step programs in Oakland, California these days, which is why you will have no trouble discovering the ones in your regional community that fits your need the most, no matter whether it will be related to belief in God or not.
Twelve Steps Benefits
As we currently know, one of the primary principles of 12-step programs is privacy, which is why it is quite impossible to collect information on its effectiveness. But what we do understand is that 74% of U.S.A. treatment centers are utilizing 12 step programs as one of the treatment possibilities for its visitors. What is more, the participants of this problem were found to be alcohol abstinent for longer time periods.
And as some of the insurance coverage can cover your expenses of going through a 12-step program in Oakland, California, it would be reasonable why 12 steps have actually ended up being so popular in the last years.
Therefore, knowing that 12 steps programs are popular and widely accepted throughout the world, we can say for sure that this type of treatment is effective; we simply do not know for whom. You can compare 12-step programs to therapy types: you can never ever understand for sure whether a specific technique is working for you unless you try it out, but you still know that all of them could be effective.
Option Treatment Programs in Oakland, California
It might be the case that 12-step programs are ineffective in your case, which is why thinking about alternatives is extremely essential.
So here is a list of some other types of drug addiction treatments that might be useful:
Such programs happen in rehabilitation centers in Oakland, California with expert healthcare providers, which is why they are thought about to be among the most effective ones. Residential programs assist you to develop an environment where no substance use is allowed, which is why your recovery might be faster compared to other rehab methods.
The only downside is that such programs are usually not that cheap, which is why you may need to think about other options. However if you do not mind taking part in government-based rehab programs, then you might cover the expenses with your insurance.
Outpatient Rehabilitation Programs
These programs are rather comparable to domestic ones, however they permit you to continue living your life and bearing your obligations, as you will not have to remain at the center throughout the day, simply in the early mornings and nights.
However, because of such a format, you might need to invest a larger period of time in your rehabilitation center and work on your physical and mental health a bit more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the basic idea of a 12-Step program in Oakland, CA?
The primary idea of the Oakland 12 steps is that individuals can assist one another in their journey of getting rid of drug abuse or any other problems. And although at first, God was the central character of self-help groups, His existence is not needed nowadays.
Where are the 12 steps in the AA Big Reserve?
The 12 actions can be discovered in the very start of the book “Alcoholics Anonymous,” in the chapter called “How it works.” But you might also read about them in the article above and choose whether or not they would be handy to you.
Exists an AA 12-step workbook?
Yes, there is a workbook available for 12 steps fans, and you can download it free of charge. Such workbooks are generally very practical for new members, and the things that you write down in such a workbook could be gone over together with other AA members.