The 12-step program has become rather popular nowadays amongst people with some dependency problems, and although initially it was created by Alcoholics Anonymous for people with alcohol abuse as a progressive disease, the 12-step program in New York, NY that we now understand is utilized more extensively within different substance abuse recovery groups, Narcotics Anonymous or Drug Anonymous for individuals with illicit substance abuse issues, and others.
So if you are interested in discovering more about the 12-step programs in New York, New York and how they could be carried out in your own treatment programs, then you might want to continue reading this short article!
New York 12-Step Program Organization
As you could have thought, the New York, New York 12-step program contains in itself 12 various spiritual principles and standards that must be utilized by numerous support groups to assist its members overcome their problems.
So here are these 12 actions produced by Alcoholics Anonymous for its AA members to be used in New York, NY, or any other place:
- Confess your weakness for alcohol;
- Find a Power greater than yourself, and think that a Power like that might restore us to sanity;
- Turn your will over to God so that he can restore us and take care of all these defects that we have;
- Make a personal inventory of yourself, find the root of your issues, and admit it to yourself;
- Admit to God and other individuals the exact nature of your sins;
- Allow God to remove all these defects that you have today, which hinder your everyday life in a negative method;
- Do not hesitate to request for God’s help while you are going through this browsing and fearless moral inventory of yourself;
- Right down a list of all individuals that you have actually harmed before;
- Say sorry prior to anybody that you have hurt unless these direct amends and your presence in the lives of these people would injure them a lot more;
- Never ever stop your personal recovery process. Be ready to say sorry whenever you understand that you remain in the incorrect, as it is the spiritual foundation of your healing;
- Usage prayers and meditation as a way to enhance your conscious contact with God in whatever kind that you imagine Him;
When you are ready, transfer all of your understanding and experience to other individuals with substance abuse issues and, naturally, continue to practice the concepts of 12-step programs throughout your life, as your personal recovery depends upon them.
New York, NY 12-step Programs and Their Principles
Aside from the 12 standards described above, twelve-step programs also include 12 traditions that are gotten in touch with the company of Alcoholics Anonymous groups in general and not with the process through which each of their participants is going through.
And here are these 12 traditions:
- You do not require more than a genuine desire to stop drinking in order to get an AA subscription and attend meetings of your group;
- The primary function of any AA group is to transfer the concepts of 12-step treatment programs to those who have a substance use problem;
- The whole group’s conscience and welfare are more crucial than that of any individual separately, as the group function of recovering from an disease depends upon the AA unity;
- The one ultimate authority of all AA groups is God himself, in whatever kind we imagine Him. And hence, the leaders of any AA group are just His servants;
- Each Alcoholics Anonymous ought to be developed independently from all others;
- AA groups must constantly remain non-financial companies so that nobody would get sidetracked from the main purpose of AA groups, which is to assist those with substance abuse problems in their spiritual development;
- Aside from being no-financial, AA groups ought to likewise stay self-support groups, meaning that any kind of aid from others must be denied;
- AA groups are nonprofessional, which is why their leaders need to not be associated with medication or psychology. The only possible exception is to employ special workers from substance abuse treatment service centers;
- Aside from AA groups being totally self-supporting, they need to also stay non-organized groups, but they could create service boards or committees directly responsible for the assistance to be received by those they serve;
- Alcoholics Anonymous must not have an opinion on any outside matter so that the name of the groups and their treatment programs would not be used in public fights. AA leaders ought to remember that the individuals of their groups have a right to maintain personal anonymity;
- Public relations could be utilized just with the goal of bring in those in need and not for promoting the service centers and their functions;
- The assisting hand of others is not the only requirement of AA groups; privacy is the second one. This principle reminds us that collectively-accepted rules must be more important than every individual’s desires, especially when it pertains to group partnership.
12 Step Programs’ Analyses in New York, NY
As you can see, the to start with produced variation of the 12-step program is based upon the spiritual awakening concepts, however time has helped the program to establish and end up being less based on God if that is what you want.
For some of you who are not as much of followers in God, it would be good to know that such spiritual focus is actually not the main quality that assists people to recuperate. Your own healing depends more by yourself interpretation of the 12 actions and on the social assistance of individuals who help you because procedure. Approval of some higher power greater than us does not necessarily indicate that God is that power; it might likewise be our AA or any other group that could assist us with all our affairs and difficulties.
There are many different 12-step programs in New York, New York these days, which is why you will have no trouble discovering the ones in your local neighborhood that fits your need the most, no matter whether it will be connected to belief in God or not.
Twelve Steps Benefits
As we already understand, one of the main concepts of 12-step programs is anonymity, which is why it is rather impossible to gather information on its effectiveness. However what we do know is that 74% of U.S.A. treatment centers are utilizing 12 step programs as one of the treatment possibilities for its visitors. What is more, the individuals of this issue were discovered to be alcohol abstinent for longer time periods.
And as a few of the insurance plan can cover your costs of going through a 12-step program in New York, New York, it would be understandable why 12 steps have ended up being so popular in the last years.
Thus, understanding that 12 steps programs are popular and widely accepted throughout the world, we can say for sure that this type of treatment is effective; we simply do not know for whom. You can compare 12-step programs to treatment types: you can never ever know for sure whether a particular technique is working for you unless you try it out, however you still understand that all of them could be efficient.
Alternative Treatment Programs in New York, New York
It might be the case that 12-step programs are ineffective in your case, which is why considering alternatives is really essential.
So here is a list of some other types of drug addiction treatments that might be handy:
Such programs take place in rehabilitation centers in New York, New York with professional healthcare service providers, which is why they are thought about to be one of the most reliable ones. Residential programs assist you to create an environment where no substance use is allowed, which is why your recovery might be faster compared to other rehabilitation methods.
The only disadvantage is that such programs are normally not that cheap, which is why you might require to consider other options. But if you do not mind participating in government-based rehab programs, then you may cover the expenditures with your insurance.
Outpatient Rehab Programs
These programs are rather comparable to domestic ones, however they permit you to continue living your life and bearing your obligations, as you will not have to remain at the center throughout the day, simply in the mornings and nights.
Nevertheless, because of such a format, you may need to invest a larger time period in your rehab center and work on your physical and mental health a bit more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the fundamental principle of a 12-Step program in New York, NY?
The primary idea of the New York 12 steps is that people can help one another in their journey of getting rid of drug abuse or any other issues. And although at first, God was the central character of self-help groups, His presence is not necessary nowadays.
Where are the 12 steps in the AA Big Schedule?
The 12 actions can be found in the very start of the book “Alcoholics Anonymous,” in the chapter called “How it works.” However you could also check out them in the article above and choose whether they would be helpful to you.
Is there an AA 12-step workbook?
Yes, there is a workbook readily available for 12 steps followers, and you can download it free of charge. Such workbooks are usually very helpful for new members, and the important things that you document in such a workbook could be discussed together with other AA members.