The 12-step program has become rather popular these days amongst individuals with some dependency issues, and although initially it was developed by Alcoholics Anonymous for individuals with alcoholic abuse as a progressive illness, the 12-step program in New Haven, CT that we now know is used more extensively within different substance abuse recovery groups, Narcotics Anonymous or Cocaine Anonymous for individuals with illegal drug use problems, and others.
So if you have an interest in discovering more about the 12-step programs in New Haven, Connecticut and how they could be carried out in your own treatment programs, then you might want to continue reading this post!
New Haven 12-Step Program Organization
As you might have thought, the New Haven, Connecticut 12-step program contains in itself 12 different spiritual principles and guidelines that need to be utilized by various support groups to help its members overcome their issues.
So here are these 12 actions developed by Alcoholics Anonymous for its AA members to be used in New Haven, CT, or any other place:
- Confess your weakness for alcohol;
- Find a Power greater than yourself, and think that a Power like that might restore us to sanity;
- Turn your will over to God so that he can restore us and take care of all these defects that we have;
- Make a personal inventory of yourself, discover the root of your problems, and confess to yourself;
- Admit to God and other people the exact nature of your sins;
- Enable God to get rid of all these defects that you have today, which hinder your daily life in a negative method;
- Do not hesitate to request God’s assistance while you are going through this searching and fearless moral inventory of yourself;
- Right down a list of all the people that you have actually hurt prior to;
- Say sorry before anybody that you have harmed unless these direct amends and your presence in the lives of these individuals would hurt them a lot more;
- Never stop your personal recovery process. Be ready to say sorry whenever you comprehend that you remain in the incorrect, as it is the spiritual foundation of your recovery;
- Usage prayers and meditation as a method to improve your conscious contact with God in whatever form that you envision Him;
Once you are ready, transfer all of your understanding and experience to other people with substance abuse problems and, naturally, continue to practice the concepts of 12-step programs throughout your life, as your personal recovery depends upon them.
New Haven, CT 12-step Programs and Their Principles
Aside from the 12 standards described above, twelve-step programs also consist of 12 customs that are gotten in touch with the company of Alcoholics Anonymous groups in general and not with the procedure through which every one of their individuals is going through.
And here are these 12 traditions:
- You do not need more than a genuine desire to stop drinking in order to get an AA membership and attend meetings of your group;
- The primary function of any AA group is to move the principles of 12-step treatment programs to those who have a substance use problem;
- The entire group’s conscience and welfare are more crucial than that of any specific individually, as the group function of recovering from an health problem depends on the AA unity;
- The one ultimate authority of all AA groups is God himself, in whatever form we picture Him. And hence, the leaders of any AA group are simply His servants;
- Each Alcoholics Anonymous need to be produced separately from all others;
- AA groups ought to always remain non-financial organizations so that nobody would get distracted from the primary function of AA groups, which is to assist those with substance abuse problems in their spiritual growth;
- Aside from being no-financial, AA groups need to also stay self-support groups, meaning that any kind of assistance from others must be denied;
- AA groups are nonprofessional, which is why their leaders ought to not be related to medicine or psychology. The only possible exception is to employ special workers from substance abuse treatment service centers;
- Aside from AA groups being completely self-supporting, they must also stay non-organized groups, but they might create service boards or committees directly responsible for the help to be gotten by those they serve;
- Alcoholics Anonymous should not have an viewpoint on any outside matter so that the name of the groups and their treatment programs would not be utilized in public conflicts. AA leaders need to keep in mind that the participants of their groups have a right to maintain personal anonymity;
- Public relations could be used only with the objective of drawing in those in need and not for promoting the service centers and their functions;
- The helping hand of others is not the only requirement of AA groups; privacy is the second one. This principle advises us that collectively-accepted rules should be more important than every person’s desires, specifically when it comes to group collaboration.
12 Step Programs’ Interpretations in New Haven, CT
As you can see, the to start with created version of the 12-step program is based upon the spiritual awakening concepts, however time has actually assisted the program to establish and end up being less dependent on God if that is what you want.
For a few of you who are not as much of followers in God, it would be good to understand that such spiritual focus is really not the main quality that helps people to recover. Your own healing depends more on your own interpretation of the 12 actions and on the social support of individuals who assist you in that process. Approval of some higher power greater than us does not always suggest that God is that power; it might also be our AA or any other group that might assist us with all our affairs and problems.
There are several 12-step programs in New Haven, Connecticut these days, which is why you will have no trouble discovering the ones in your regional community that fits your need the most, no matter whether it will be connected to belief in God or not.
Twelve Steps Advantages
As we already understand, one of the main concepts of 12-step programs is privacy, which is why it is rather difficult to gather data on its effectiveness. However what we do understand is that 74% of U.S.A. treatment centers are utilizing 12 step programs as one of the treatment possibilities for its visitors. What is more, the participants of this issue were discovered to be alcohol abstinent for longer periods of time.
And as some of the insurance plan can cover your costs of going through a 12-step program in New Haven, Connecticut, it would be understandable why 12 steps have actually ended up being so popular in the last years.
Thus, knowing that 12 steps programs are popular and extensively accepted throughout the world, we can state for sure that this kind of treatment works; we just do not know for whom. You can compare 12-step programs to therapy types: you can never understand for sure whether a specific method is working for you unless you try it out, however you still understand that all of them could be reliable.
Alternative Treatment Programs in New Haven, Connecticut
It might be the case that 12-step programs are ineffective in your case, which is why thinking about alternatives is extremely essential.
So here is a list of some other types of drug addiction treatments that might be valuable:
Such programs occur in rehab centers in New Haven, Connecticut with professional health care suppliers, which is why they are considered to be among the most effective ones. Residential programs help you to develop an environment where no substance use is allowed, which is why your recovery might be faster compared to other rehab approaches.
The only disadvantage is that such programs are normally not that cheap, which is why you may need to consider other alternatives. However if you do not mind participating in government-based rehab programs, then you might cover the expenses with your insurance coverage.
Outpatient Rehabilitation Programs
These programs are quite comparable to property ones, however they allow you to continue living your life and bearing your responsibilities, as you will not have to stay at the center throughout the day, simply in the mornings and nights.
Nevertheless, because of such a format, you might need to spend a larger period of time in your rehabilitation center and work on your physical and mental health a bit more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the standard principle of a 12-Step program in New Haven, CT?
The primary concept of the New Haven 12 steps is that people can help one another in their journey of conquering drug abuse or any other problems. And although initially, God was the central character of self-help groups, His presence is not necessary nowadays.
Where are the 12 steps in the AA Big Book?
The 12 steps can be found in the very start of the book “Alcoholics Anonymous,” in the chapter called “How it works.” But you could also read about them in the post above and choose whether they would be valuable to you.
Exists an AA 12-step workbook?
Yes, there is a workbook available for 12 actions followers, and you can download it totally free. Such workbooks are generally extremely useful for new members, and the things that you make a note of in such a workbook could be gone over together with other AA members.