The 12-step program has ended up being quite popular nowadays amongst individuals with some addiction issues, and although initially it was created by Alcoholics Anonymous for individuals with alcoholic abuse as a progressive illness, the 12-step program in Los Angeles, CA that we now understand is utilized more widely within various substance abuse recovery groups, Narcotics Anonymous or Drug Anonymous for individuals with illegal drug use problems, and others.
So if you have an interest in discovering more about the 12-step programs in Los Angeles, California and how they could be carried out in your own treatment programs, then you may want to continue reading this short article!
Los Angeles 12-Step Program Organization
As you could have thought, the Los Angeles, California 12-step program contains in itself 12 various spiritual principles and standards that need to be used by different support groups to assist its members conquer their issues.
So here are these 12 actions produced by Alcoholics Anonymous for its AA members to be used in Los Angeles, CA, or any other location:
- Confess your weakness for alcohol;
- Discover a Power greater than yourself, and think that a Power like that might restore us to sanity;
- Turn your will over to God so that he can restore us and look after all these defects that we have;
- Make a personal inventory of yourself, discover the root of your issues, and confess to yourself;
- Admit to God and other individuals the exact nature of your sins;
- Permit God to eliminate all these defects that you have right now, and that interfere with your day-to-day life in a unfavorable method;
- Do not hesitate to request God’s aid while you are going through this searching and fearless moral inventory of yourself;
- Right down a list of all the people that you have harmed prior to;
- Ask forgiveness prior to anyone that you have harmed unless these direct amends and your presence in the lives of these people would harm them a lot more;
- Never ever stop your personal recovery process. Be ready to apologize whenever you comprehend that you are in the incorrect, as it is the spiritual foundation of your healing;
- Usage prayers and meditation as a way to enhance your conscious contact with God in whatever form that you imagine Him;
As soon as you are ready, transfer all of your understanding and experience to other people with substance abuse issues and, naturally, continue to practice the principles of 12-step programs throughout your life, as your personal recovery depends upon them.
Los Angeles, CA 12-step Programs and Their Principles
Aside from the 12 guidelines described above, twelve-step programs also include 12 traditions that are connected with the company of Alcoholics Anonymous groups in general and not with the procedure through which every one of their participants is going through.
And here are these 12 customs:
- You do not require more than a genuine desire to stop drinking in order to get an AA membership and attend meetings of your group;
- The primary purpose of any AA group is to transfer the principles of 12-step treatment programs to those who have a substance use problem;
- The whole group’s conscience and well-being are more vital than that of any private separately, as the group function of recovering from an illness depends on the AA unity;
- The one ultimate authority of all AA groups is God himself, in whatever kind we envision Him. And therefore, the leaders of any AA group are just His servants;
- Each Alcoholics Anonymous need to be created independently from all others;
- AA groups must constantly stay non-financial organizations so that nobody would get distracted from the main function of AA groups, which is to assist those with substance abuse problems in their spiritual growth;
- Aside from being no-financial, AA groups need to likewise remain self-support groups, meaning that any type of aid from others need to be denied;
- AA groups are nonprofessional, which is why their leaders ought to not be connected to medication or psychology. The only possible exception is to employ special workers from substance abuse treatment service centers;
- Aside from AA groups being totally self-supporting, they need to likewise stay non-organized groups, but they might create service boards or committees directly responsible for the help to be gotten by those they serve;
- Alcoholics Anonymous need to not have an opinion on any outdoors matter so that the name of the groups and their treatment programs would not be used in public confrontations. AA leaders ought to keep in mind that the participants of their groups have a right to maintain personal anonymity;
- Public relations could be used only with the aim of drawing in those in need and not for promoting the service centers and their functions;
- The helping hand of others is not the only requirement of AA groups; anonymity is the 2nd one. This concept reminds us that collectively-accepted guidelines should be more important than every person’s desires, especially when it comes to group collaboration.
12 Step Programs’ Interpretations in Los Angeles, CA
As you can see, the firstly created version of the 12-step program is based on the spiritual awakening principles, however time has assisted the program to establish and become less depending on God if that is what you want.
For a few of you who are not as much of followers in God, it would be great to know that such spiritual focus is in fact not the main quality that helps individuals to recuperate. Your own healing depends more on your own analysis of the 12 actions and on the social assistance of people who assist you in that process. Acceptance of some higher power greater than us does not necessarily indicate that God is that power; it might likewise be our AA or any other group that might assist us with all our affairs and difficulties.
There are many different 12-step programs in Los Angeles, California nowadays, which is why you will have no trouble finding the ones in your regional neighborhood that suits your requirement the most, no matter whether it will be associated with belief in God or not.
Twelve Steps Benefits
As we currently understand, one of the main concepts of 12-step programs is privacy, which is why it is rather impossible to gather data on its effectiveness. But what we do know is that 74% of USA treatment centers are using 12 step programs as one of the treatment possibilities for its visitors. What is more, the individuals of this issue were discovered to be alcohol abstinent for longer periods of time.
And as a few of the insurance plan can cover your expenses of going through a 12-step program in Los Angeles, California, it would be easy to understand why 12 actions have actually become so popular in the last years.
Hence, understanding that 12 steps programs are popular and extensively accepted throughout the world, we can say for sure that this kind of treatment works; we just do not know for whom. You can compare 12-step programs to therapy types: you can never ever understand for sure whether a specific technique is working for you unless you try it out, however you still know that all of them could be effective.
Alternative Treatment Programs in Los Angeles, California
It might be the case that 12-step programs are not effective in your case, which is why considering alternatives is really crucial.
So here is a list of some other kinds of drug addiction treatments that might be handy:
Such programs occur in rehab centers in Los Angeles, California with professional healthcare companies, which is why they are thought about to be among the most effective ones. Residential programs assist you to develop an environment where no substance use is enabled, which is why your recovery might be much faster compared to other rehab methods.
The only disadvantage is that such programs are typically not that low-cost, which is why you may require to consider other choices. However if you do incline participating in government-based rehab programs, then you may cover the expenditures with your insurance.
Outpatient Rehabilitation Programs
These programs are quite comparable to domestic ones, however they enable you to continue living your life and bearing your responsibilities, as you will not need to stay at the center throughout the day, simply in the mornings and nights.
Nevertheless, because of such a format, you might need to spend a larger time period in your rehabilitation center and work on your physical and mental health a bit more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the basic idea of a 12-Step program in Los Angeles, CA?
The primary idea of the Los Angeles 12 steps is that individuals can help one another in their journey of getting rid of drug abuse or any other issues. And although at first, God was the central character of self-help groups, His existence is not needed nowadays.
Where are the 12 steps in the AA Big Schedule?
The 12 steps can be discovered in the very beginning of the book “Alcoholics Anonymous,” in the chapter called “How it works.” But you could likewise read about them in the post above and decide whether they would be valuable to you.
Is there an AA 12-step workbook?
Yes, there is a workbook available for 12 actions fans, and you can download it for free. Such workbooks are normally very practical for new members, and the important things that you document in such a workbook could be gone over together with other AA members.