The 12-step program has ended up being rather popular these days amongst people with some addiction problems, and although initially it was produced by Alcoholics Anonymous for people with alcoholic abuse as a progressive illness, the 12-step program in Harrisonburg, VA that we now understand is utilized more widely within different substance abuse recovery groups, Narcotics Anonymous or Drug Anonymous for individuals with illicit drug use issues, and others.
So if you are interested in discovering more about the 12-step programs in Harrisonburg, Virginia and how they could be carried out in your own treatment programs, then you may wish to continue reading this post!
Harrisonburg 12-Step Program Organization
As you could have guessed, the Harrisonburg, Virginia 12-step program contains in itself 12 various spiritual principles and guidelines that need to be utilized by different support groups to assist its members overcome their problems.
So here are these 12 steps produced by Alcoholics Anonymous for its AA members to be used in Harrisonburg, VA, or any other location:
- Admit your weakness for alcohol;
- Discover a Power greater than yourself, and believe that a Power like that might restore us to sanity;
- Turn your will over to God so that he can restore us and take care of all these defects that we have;
- Make a personal inventory of yourself, find the root of your issues, and confess to yourself;
- Admit to God and other people the exact nature of your sins;
- Allow God to get rid of all these defects that you have right now, and that interfere with your everyday life in a unfavorable method;
- Do not be afraid to request for God’s assistance while you are going through this browsing and fearless moral inventory of yourself;
- Right down a list of all individuals that you have actually hurt before;
- Say sorry prior to anybody that you have actually harmed unless these direct amends and your presence in the lives of these individuals would injure them even more;
- Never ever stop your personal recovery process. Be ready to apologize whenever you understand that you remain in the incorrect, as it is the spiritual foundation of your healing;
- Use prayers and meditation as a method to improve your conscious contact with God in whatever form that you imagine Him;
As soon as you are ready, move all of your understanding and experience to other people with substance abuse issues and, of course, continue to practice the concepts of 12-step programs throughout your life, as your personal recovery depends upon them.
Harrisonburg, VA 12-step Programs and Their Concepts
Aside from the 12 guidelines explained above, twelve-step programs also consist of 12 traditions that are connected with the organization of Alcoholics Anonymous groups in general and not with the process through which each of their individuals is going through.
And here are these 12 customs:
- You do not require more than a sincere desire to stop drinking in order to get an AA subscription and attend meetings of your group;
- The main purpose of any AA group is to move the principles of 12-step treatment programs to those who have a substance use problem;
- The entire group’s conscience and well-being are more important than that of any private separately, as the group function of recuperating from an disease depends upon the AA unity;
- The one ultimate authority of all AA groups is God himself, in whatever form we envision Him. And therefore, the leaders of any AA group are just His servants;
- Each Alcoholics Anonymous must be created individually from all others;
- AA groups need to constantly remain non-financial organizations so that no one would get distracted from the main purpose of AA groups, which is to help those with substance abuse issues in their spiritual development;
- Aside from being no-financial, AA groups should also remain self-support groups, implying that any kind of help from others need to be rejected;
- AA groups are nonprofessional, which is why their leaders must not be associated with medicine or psychology. The only possible exception is to employ special workers from substance abuse treatment service centers;
- Aside from AA groups being fully self-supporting, they should also remain non-organized groups, however they might create service boards or committees directly responsible for the assistance to be gotten by those they serve;
- Alcoholics Anonymous must not have an opinion on any outside matter so that the name of the groups and their treatment programs would not be utilized in public confrontations. AA leaders must keep in mind that the participants of their groups have a right to maintain personal anonymity;
- Public relations could be used just with the aim of drawing in those in need and not for promoting the service centers and their functions;
- The assisting hand of others is not the only requirement of AA groups; anonymity is the second one. This concept advises us that collectively-accepted rules ought to be more vital than every individual’s desires, specifically when it pertains to group collaboration.
12 Step Programs’ Analyses in Harrisonburg, VA
As you can see, the first of all produced variation of the 12-step program is based upon the spiritual awakening principles, but time has helped the program to develop and become less based on God if that is what you want.
For a few of you who are not as much of believers in God, it would be good to understand that such spiritual focus is in fact not the main quality that assists individuals to recover. Your own healing depends more by yourself interpretation of the 12 steps and on the social support of people who help you in that procedure. Acceptance of some higher power greater than us does not always suggest that God is that power; it could also be our AA or any other group that might help us with all our affairs and troubles.
There are many different 12-step programs in Harrisonburg, Virginia nowadays, which is why you will have no trouble discovering the ones in your regional community that matches your need the most, no matter whether it will be associated with belief in God or not.
Twelve Steps Benefits
As we already know, one of the main concepts of 12-step programs is privacy, which is why it is quite difficult to collect information on its efficiency. But what we do understand is that 74% of U.S.A. treatment centers are using 12 step programs as one of the treatment possibilities for its visitors. What is more, the individuals of this issue were found to be alcohol abstinent for longer periods of time.
And as some of the insurance policies can cover your expenses of going through a 12-step program in Harrisonburg, Virginia, it would be reasonable why 12 actions have actually become so popular in the last years.
Thus, understanding that 12 steps programs are popular and widely accepted throughout the world, we can state for sure that this type of treatment works; we just do not know for whom. You can compare 12-step programs to therapy types: you can never ever understand for sure whether a particular approach is working for you unless you try it out, however you still know that all of them could be reliable.
Option Treatment Programs in Harrisonburg, Virginia
It might be the case that 12-step programs are not effective in your case, which is why considering alternatives is very essential.
So here is a list of some other types of drug addiction treatments that might be handy:
Such programs take place in rehab centers in Harrisonburg, Virginia with professional health care service providers, which is why they are thought about to be among the most effective ones. Residential programs assist you to develop an environment where no substance use is allowed, which is why your recovery might be much faster compared to other rehab approaches.
The only downside is that such programs are normally not that cheap, which is why you may need to think about other choices. But if you do not mind participating in government-based rehab programs, then you may cover the expenses with your insurance.
Outpatient Rehabilitation Programs
These programs are quite comparable to domestic ones, however they permit you to continue living your life and bearing your duties, as you will not need to stay at the center throughout the day, just in the mornings and nights.
Nevertheless, because of such a format, you might have to spend a bigger time period in your rehabilitation center and deal with your physical and mental health a bit more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the basic concept of a 12-Step program in Harrisonburg, VA?
The primary idea of the Harrisonburg 12 steps is that people can assist one another in their journey of conquering drug abuse or any other issues. And although at first, God was the central character of self-help groups, His existence is not needed nowadays.
Where are the 12 steps in the AA Big Book?
The 12 actions can be found in the very start of the book “Alcoholics Anonymous,” in the chapter called “How it works.” But you might likewise check out them in the short article above and decide whether they would be practical to you.
Is there an AA 12-step workbook?
Yes, there is a workbook offered for 12 actions followers, and you can download it totally free. Such workbooks are generally extremely helpful for new members, and the things that you write down in such a workbook could be gone over together with other AA members.