The 12-step program has actually become quite popular these days among people with some addiction problems, and although initially it was developed by Alcoholics Anonymous for individuals with alcoholic abuse as a progressive health problem, the 12-step program in Hagerstown, MD that we now understand is utilized more widely within different substance abuse recovery groups, Narcotics Anonymous or Cocaine Anonymous for individuals with illicit substance abuse problems, and others.
So if you have an interest in discovering more about the 12-step programs in Hagerstown, Maryland and how they could be carried out in your own treatment programs, then you might wish to continue reading this short article!
Hagerstown 12-Step Program Organization
As you might have guessed, the Hagerstown, Maryland 12-step program consists of in itself 12 various spiritual principles and standards that must be used by various support groups to assist its members overcome their issues.
So here are these 12 actions developed by Alcoholics Anonymous for its AA members to be utilized in Hagerstown, MD, or any other place:
- Admit your weakness for alcohol;
- Find a Power greater than yourself, and believe that a Power like that could restore us to sanity;
- Turn your will over to God so that he can restore us and take care of all these defects that we have;
- Make a personal inventory of yourself, find the root of your problems, and confess to yourself;
- Admit to God and other people the exact nature of your sins;
- Enable God to get rid of all these defects that you have right now, which hinder your everyday life in a unfavorable method;
- Do not hesitate to request for God’s aid while you are going through this searching and fearless moral inventory of yourself;
- Right down a list of all individuals that you have actually hurt before;
- Apologize before anyone that you have actually harmed unless these direct amends and your existence in the lives of these people would harm them much more;
- Never stop your personal recovery process. Be ready to apologize whenever you understand that you are in the incorrect, as it is the spiritual foundation of your recovery;
- Use prayers and meditation as a method to improve your conscious contact with God in whatever form that you imagine Him;
As soon as you are ready, move all of your understanding and experience to other people with substance abuse issues and, naturally, continue to practice the concepts of 12-step programs throughout your life, as your personal recovery depends upon them.
Hagerstown, MD 12-step Programs and Their Principles
Aside from the 12 guidelines explained above, twelve-step programs also consist of 12 customs that are gotten in touch with the organization of Alcoholics Anonymous groups in general and not with the procedure through which every one of their participants is going through.
And here are these 12 traditions:
- You do not require more than a genuine desire to stop drinking in order to get an AA subscription and attend meetings of your group;
- The primary purpose of any AA group is to move the concepts of 12-step treatment programs to those who have a substance use problem;
- The entire group’s conscience and well-being are more crucial than that of any specific independently, as the group purpose of recovering from an illness depends on the AA unity;
- The one ultimate authority of all AA groups is God himself, in whatever kind we envision Him. And hence, the leaders of any AA group are simply His servants;
- Each Alcoholics Anonymous must be created separately from all others;
- AA groups ought to always remain non-financial organizations so that nobody would get sidetracked from the main function of AA groups, which is to assist those with substance abuse problems in their spiritual development;
- Aside from being no-financial, AA groups should also remain self-support groups, implying that any kind of assistance from others should be rejected;
- AA groups are nonprofessional, which is why their leaders need to not be connected to medicine or psychology. The only possible exception is to employ special workers from substance abuse treatment service centers;
- Aside from AA groups being totally self-supporting, they must also stay non-organized groups, but they might create service boards or committees directly responsible for the aid to be received by those they serve;
- Alcoholics Anonymous should not have an opinion on any outside matter so that the name of the groups and their treatment programs would not be used in public fights. AA leaders must remember that the participants of their groups have a right to maintain personal anonymity;
- Public relations could be used just with the goal of bring in those in need and not for promoting the service centers and their functions;
- The assisting hand of others is not the only requirement of AA groups; anonymity is the second one. This principle advises us that collectively-accepted guidelines need to be more vital than every person’s desires, particularly when it concerns group cooperation.
12 Step Programs’ Analyses in Hagerstown, MD
As you can see, the firstly developed version of the 12-step program is based upon the spiritual awakening principles, however time has helped the program to establish and end up being less depending on God if that is what you want.
For some of you who are not as much of believers in God, it would be good to understand that such spiritual focus is really not the main attribute that helps individuals to recuperate. Your own healing depends more by yourself analysis of the 12 steps and on the social assistance of people who assist you in that process. Approval of some higher power greater than us does not always indicate that God is that power; it might also be our AA or any other group that might help us with all our affairs and difficulties.
There are several 12-step programs in Hagerstown, Maryland these days, which is why you will have no trouble discovering the ones in your regional community that matches your need the most, no matter whether it will be related to belief in God or not.
Twelve Steps Benefits
As we currently understand, one of the primary principles of 12-step programs is privacy, which is why it is quite impossible to collect information on its effectiveness. But what we do understand is that 74% of U.S.A. treatment centers are using 12 step programs as one of the treatment possibilities for its visitors. What is more, the individuals of this issue were discovered to be alcohol abstinent for longer time periods.
And as some of the insurance policies can cover your costs of going through a 12-step program in Hagerstown, Maryland, it would be understandable why 12 actions have become so popular in the last years.
Thus, understanding that 12 steps programs are popular and commonly accepted throughout the world, we can state for sure that this type of treatment is effective; we just do not know for whom. You can compare 12-step programs to therapy types: you can never know for sure whether a particular approach is working for you unless you try it out, however you still know that all of them could be effective.
Alternative Treatment Programs in Hagerstown, Maryland
It might be the case that 12-step programs are ineffective in your case, which is why considering options is extremely essential.
So here is a list of some other types of drug addiction treatments that might be useful:
Such programs take place in rehabilitation centers in Hagerstown, Maryland with expert health care suppliers, which is why they are considered to be among the most efficient ones. Residential programs help you to produce an environment where no substance use is allowed, which is why your recovery might be quicker compared to other rehabilitation approaches.
The only disadvantage is that such programs are usually not that low-cost, which is why you may require to consider other choices. However if you do not mind participating in government-based rehab programs, then you may cover the expenses with your insurance coverage.
Outpatient Rehabilitation Programs
These programs are quite comparable to residential ones, however they permit you to continue living your life and bearing your duties, as you will not need to remain at the center throughout the day, simply in the early mornings and nights.
However, because of such a format, you might have to spend a larger amount of time in your rehabilitation center and work on your physical and mental health a bit more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the standard concept of a 12-Step program in Hagerstown, MD?
The primary concept of the Hagerstown 12 steps is that individuals can assist one another in their journey of getting rid of drug abuse or any other issues. And although initially, God was the central character of self-help groups, His existence is not essential these days.
Where are the 12 steps in the AA Big Reserve?
The 12 steps can be found in the very beginning of the book “Alcoholics Anonymous,” in the chapter called “How it works.” However you could also check out them in the article above and decide whether they would be helpful to you.
Is there an AA 12-step workbook?
Yes, there is a workbook available for 12 steps fans, and you can download it totally free. Such workbooks are generally extremely valuable for new members, and the important things that you write down in such a workbook could be talked about together with other AA members.