The 12-step program has actually ended up being rather popular these days among individuals with some addiction problems, and although originally it was produced by Alcoholics Anonymous for people with alcoholic abuse as a progressive disease, the 12-step program in Greensboro, NC that we now know is used more widely within various substance abuse recovery groups, Narcotics Anonymous or Cocaine Anonymous for individuals with illegal drug use issues, and others.
So if you have an interest in learning more about the 12-step programs in Greensboro, North Carolina and how they could be executed in your own treatment programs, then you may wish to continue reading this short article!
Greensboro 12-Step Program Organization
As you could have guessed, the Greensboro, North Carolina 12-step program includes in itself 12 different spiritual principles and standards that must be utilized by different support groups to help its members conquer their issues.
So here are these 12 actions developed by Alcoholics Anonymous for its AA members to be used in Greensboro, NC, or any other location:
- Confess your weakness for alcohol;
- Discover a Power greater than yourself, and think that a Power like that might restore us to sanity;
- Turn your will over to God so that he can restore us and look after all these defects that we have;
- Make a personal inventory of yourself, discover the root of your problems, and admit it to yourself;
- Confess to God and other individuals the exact nature of your sins;
- Permit God to get rid of all these defects that you have today, and that hinder your day-to-day life in a negative method;
- Do not be afraid to request God’s help while you are going through this browsing and fearless moral inventory of yourself;
- Right down a list of all individuals that you have harmed prior to;
- Ask forgiveness before anybody that you have injured unless these direct amends and your presence in the lives of these individuals would injure them a lot more;
- Never stop your personal recovery process. Be ready to apologize whenever you understand that you remain in the incorrect, as it is the spiritual foundation of your recovery;
- Use prayers and meditation as a way to enhance your conscious contact with God in whatever type that you envision Him;
When you are ready, transfer all of your knowledge and experience to other individuals with substance abuse issues and, naturally, continue to practice the concepts of 12-step programs throughout your life, as your personal recovery depends on them.
Greensboro, NC 12-step Programs and Their Principles
Aside from the 12 guidelines described above, twelve-step programs also consist of 12 customs that are connected with the company of Alcoholics Anonymous groups in general and not with the process through which every one of their individuals is going through.
And here are these 12 traditions:
- You do not need more than a genuine desire to stop drinking in order to get an AA membership and attend meetings of your group;
- The primary function of any AA group is to move the principles of 12-step treatment programs to those who have a substance use problem;
- The whole group’s conscience and welfare are more important than that of any specific separately, as the group purpose of recuperating from an health problem depends upon the AA unity;
- The one ultimate authority of all AA groups is God himself, in whatever type we envision Him. And therefore, the leaders of any AA group are just His servants;
- Each Alcoholics Anonymous must be developed individually from all others;
- AA groups must always stay non-financial organizations so that no one would get sidetracked from the primary function of AA groups, which is to help those with substance abuse problems in their spiritual growth;
- Aside from being no-financial, AA groups ought to also stay self-support groups, implying that any kind of assistance from others need to be denied;
- AA groups are nonprofessional, which is why their leaders need to not be connected to medicine or psychology. The only possible exception is to employ special workers from substance abuse treatment service centers;
- Aside from AA groups being completely self-supporting, they need to also stay non-organized groups, however they could create service boards or committees directly responsible for the aid to be gotten by those they serve;
- Alcoholics Anonymous ought to not have an viewpoint on any outside matter so that the name of the groups and their treatment programs would not be used in public conflicts. AA leaders should keep in mind that the individuals of their groups have a right to maintain personal anonymity;
- Public relations could be utilized just with the goal of drawing in those in need and not for promoting the service centers and their functions;
- The helping hand of others is not the only requirement of AA groups; privacy is the 2nd one. This concept reminds us that collectively-accepted rules ought to be more important than every person’s desires, specifically when it pertains to group cooperation.
12 Step Programs’ Analyses in Greensboro, NC
As you can see, the firstly created version of the 12-step program is based on the spiritual awakening principles, however time has assisted the program to establish and become less based on God if that is what you want.
For a few of you who are not as much of believers in God, it would be excellent to understand that such spiritual focus is really not the main characteristic that assists individuals to recover. Your own healing depends more by yourself analysis of the 12 steps and on the social support of individuals who assist you in that procedure. Acceptance of some higher power greater than us does not necessarily indicate that God is that power; it might also be our AA or any other group that might help us with all our affairs and problems.
There are many different 12-step programs in Greensboro, North Carolina nowadays, which is why you will have no trouble finding the ones in your regional neighborhood that matches your need the most, no matter whether it will be related to belief in God or not.
Twelve Steps Benefits
As we currently know, among the main concepts of 12-step programs is privacy, which is why it is rather impossible to collect data on its effectiveness. However what we do understand is that 74% of USA treatment centers are using 12 step programs as one of the treatment possibilities for its visitors. What is more, the individuals of this issue were found to be alcohol abstinent for longer amount of times.
And as some of the insurance plan can cover your costs of going through a 12-step program in Greensboro, North Carolina, it would be easy to understand why 12 actions have actually ended up being so popular in the last years.
Therefore, knowing that 12 actions programs are popular and extensively accepted throughout the world, we can state for sure that this type of treatment is effective; we just do not know for whom. You can compare 12-step programs to therapy types: you can never understand for sure whether a specific approach is working for you unless you try it out, however you still know that all of them could be effective.
Alternative Treatment Programs in Greensboro, North Carolina
It might be the case that 12-step programs are not effective in your case, which is why considering options is very crucial.
So here is a list of some other types of drug addiction treatments that might be valuable:
Such programs take place in rehab centers in Greensboro, North Carolina with professional health care providers, which is why they are thought about to be among the most effective ones. Residential programs help you to produce an environment where no substance use is enabled, which is why your healing might be quicker compared to other rehabilitation approaches.
The only disadvantage is that such programs are generally not that inexpensive, which is why you might require to consider other alternatives. However if you do incline participating in government-based rehab programs, then you might cover the expenses with your insurance.
Outpatient Rehab Programs
These programs are rather comparable to residential ones, however they allow you to continue living your life and bearing your responsibilities, as you will not need to stay at the center all day, simply in the early mornings and nights.
Nevertheless, because of such a format, you may need to invest a bigger period of time in your rehab center and deal with your physical and mental health a bit more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the basic concept of a 12-Step program in Greensboro, NC?
The main concept of the Greensboro 12 steps is that people can assist one another in their journey of getting rid of drug abuse or any other issues. And although initially, God was the central character of self-help groups, His presence is not essential these days.
Where are the 12 steps in the AA Big Book?
The 12 steps can be found in the very start of the book “Alcoholics Anonymous,” in the chapter called “How it works.” However you could also read about them in the article above and choose whether or not they would be useful to you.
Exists an AA 12-step workbook?
Yes, there is a workbook offered for 12 actions fans, and you can download it for free. Such workbooks are typically very helpful for new members, and the things that you make a note of in such a workbook could be discussed together with other AA members.