The 12-step program has actually ended up being rather popular nowadays among people with some dependency issues, and although initially it was developed by Alcoholics Anonymous for individuals with alcoholic abuse as a progressive disease, the 12-step program in Grand Rapids, MI that we now know is used more widely within different substance abuse recovery groups, Narcotics Anonymous or Cocaine Anonymous for people with illicit substance abuse issues, and others.
So if you have an interest in learning more about the 12-step programs in Grand Rapids, Michigan and how they could be implemented in your own treatment programs, then you may want to continue reading this article!
Grand Rapids 12-Step Program Company
As you might have guessed, the Grand Rapids, Michigan 12-step program includes in itself 12 different spiritual principles and standards that must be utilized by numerous support groups to assist its members overcome their issues.
So here are these 12 steps produced by Alcoholics Anonymous for its AA members to be used in Grand Rapids, MI, or any other location:
- Admit your weakness for alcohol;
- Discover a Power greater than yourself, and think that a Power like that might restore us to sanity;
- Turn your will over to God so that he can restore us and look after all these defects that we have;
- Make a personal inventory of yourself, discover the root of your problems, and confess to yourself;
- Admit to God and other people the exact nature of your sins;
- Enable God to get rid of all these defects that you have today, which disrupt your daily life in a unfavorable method;
- Do not hesitate to request for God’s help while you are going through this browsing and fearless moral inventory of yourself;
- Right down a list of all individuals that you have actually hurt prior to;
- Apologize prior to anyone that you have injured unless these direct amends and your presence in the lives of these people would hurt them much more;
- Never stop your personal recovery process. Be ready to ask forgiveness whenever you comprehend that you remain in the incorrect, as it is the spiritual foundation of your recovery;
- Use prayers and meditation as a way to enhance your conscious contact with God in whatever kind that you picture Him;
As soon as you are ready, move all of your understanding and experience to other people with substance abuse issues and, obviously, continue to practice the concepts of 12-step programs throughout your life, as your personal recovery depends upon them.
Grand Rapids, MI 12-step Programs and Their Concepts
Aside from the 12 standards described above, twelve-step programs likewise include 12 customs that are connected with the organization of Alcoholics Anonymous groups in general and not with the procedure through which each of their participants is going through.
And here are these 12 customs:
- You do not require more than a sincere desire to stop drinking in order to get an AA membership and attend meetings of your group;
- The main function of any AA group is to transfer the concepts of 12-step treatment programs to those who have a substance use problem;
- The whole group’s conscience and well-being are more important than that of any private independently, as the group function of recuperating from an disease depends on the AA unity;
- The one ultimate authority of all AA groups is God himself, in whatever type we envision Him. And therefore, the leaders of any AA group are simply His servants;
- Each Alcoholics Anonymous need to be produced individually from all others;
- AA groups should always stay non-financial companies so that nobody would get distracted from the primary purpose of AA groups, which is to help those with substance abuse issues in their spiritual development;
- Aside from being no-financial, AA groups must likewise remain self-support groups, indicating that any kind of aid from others should be denied;
- AA groups are nonprofessional, which is why their leaders need to not be connected to medication or psychology. The only possible exception is to employ special workers from substance abuse treatment service centers;
- Aside from AA groups being totally self-supporting, they need to likewise stay non-organized groups, however they could create service boards or committees directly responsible for the help to be received by those they serve;
- Alcoholics Anonymous need to not have an viewpoint on any outside matter so that the name of the groups and their treatment programs would not be utilized in public conflicts. AA leaders must keep in mind that the individuals of their groups have a right to maintain personal anonymity;
- Public relations could be used only with the objective of drawing in those in need and not for promoting the service centers and their functions;
- The assisting hand of others is not the only requirement of AA groups; anonymity is the 2nd one. This concept reminds us that collectively-accepted guidelines must be more important than every individual’s desires, particularly when it concerns group collaboration.
12 Step Programs’ Analyses in Grand Rapids, MI
As you can see, the firstly created version of the 12-step program is based on the spiritual awakening concepts, however time has actually helped the program to develop and become less based on God if that is what you want.
For a few of you who are not as much of followers in God, it would be great to know that such spiritual focus is in fact not the main characteristic that helps people to recover. Your own recovery depends more by yourself interpretation of the 12 steps and on the social assistance of individuals who help you because procedure. Acceptance of some higher power greater than us does not always imply that God is that power; it might likewise be our AA or any other group that might help us with all our affairs and problems.
There are various 12-step programs in Grand Rapids, Michigan these days, which is why you will have no trouble finding the ones in your local neighborhood that fits your requirement the most, no matter whether it will be connected to belief in God or not.
Twelve Steps Advantages
As we already know, among the main principles of 12-step programs is anonymity, which is why it is quite impossible to collect information on its effectiveness. But what we do know is that 74% of U.S.A. treatment centers are using 12 step programs as one of the treatment possibilities for its visitors. What is more, the individuals of this problem were discovered to be alcohol abstinent for longer time periods.
And as a few of the insurance plan can cover your costs of going through a 12-step program in Grand Rapids, Michigan, it would be understandable why 12 actions have become so popular in the last years.
Therefore, understanding that 12 steps programs are popular and commonly accepted throughout the world, we can say for sure that this kind of treatment works; we simply do not know for whom. You can compare 12-step programs to therapy types: you can never understand for sure whether a particular method is working for you unless you try it out, but you still understand that all of them could be efficient.
Alternative Treatment Programs in Grand Rapids, Michigan
It might be the case that 12-step programs are not effective in your case, which is why thinking about options is extremely crucial.
So here is a list of some other kinds of drug addiction treatments that might be helpful:
Such programs take place in rehabilitation centers in Grand Rapids, Michigan with professional health care providers, which is why they are thought about to be among the most reliable ones. Residential programs help you to create an environment where no substance use is permitted, which is why your recovery might be quicker compared to other rehab approaches.
The only drawback is that such programs are typically not that inexpensive, which is why you might need to consider other options. However if you do incline participating in government-based rehab programs, then you may cover the expenses with your insurance coverage.
Outpatient Rehabilitation Programs
These programs are rather comparable to property ones, however they enable you to continue living your life and bearing your duties, as you will not have to remain at the center throughout the day, just in the early mornings and nights.
Nevertheless, because of such a format, you may have to invest a larger time period in your rehabilitation center and work on your physical and mental health a bit more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the standard concept of a 12-Step program in Grand Rapids, MI?
The primary idea of the Grand Rapids 12 steps is that individuals can assist one another in their journey of conquering drug abuse or any other problems. And although initially, God was the central character of self-help groups, His existence is not needed nowadays.
Where are the 12 steps in the AA Big Schedule?
The 12 actions can be found in the very beginning of the book “Alcoholics Anonymous,” in the chapter called “How it works.” But you might also read about them in the article above and choose whether or not they would be useful to you.
Exists an AA 12-step workbook?
Yes, there is a workbook readily available for 12 steps fans, and you can download it free of charge. Such workbooks are usually extremely practical for new members, and the things that you jot down in such a workbook could be gone over together with other AA members.