The 12-step program has actually become quite popular these days among people with some dependency problems, and although originally it was developed by Alcoholics Anonymous for people with alcohol abuse as a progressive illness, the 12-step program in Columbia, SC that we now understand is utilized more widely within different substance abuse recovery groups, Narcotics Anonymous or Cocaine Anonymous for individuals with illicit drug use problems, and others.
So if you are interested in learning more about the 12-step programs in Columbia, South Carolina and how they could be carried out in your own treatment programs, then you may want to continue reading this article!
Columbia 12-Step Program Organization
As you might have thought, the Columbia, South Carolina 12-step program includes in itself 12 various spiritual principles and guidelines that should be used by different support groups to assist its members overcome their issues.
So here are these 12 actions created by Alcoholics Anonymous for its AA members to be used in Columbia, SC, or any other place:
- Confess your weakness for alcohol;
- Discover a Power greater than yourself, and think that a Power like that might restore us to sanity;
- Turn your will over to God so that he can restore us and take care of all these defects that we have;
- Make a personal inventory of yourself, find the root of your issues, and confess to yourself;
- Confess to God and other people the exact nature of your sins;
- Permit God to remove all these defects that you have today, and that hinder your daily life in a negative method;
- Do not hesitate to request for God’s assistance while you are going through this searching and fearless moral inventory of yourself;
- Right down a list of all the people that you have harmed before;
- Say sorry before anybody that you have injured unless these direct amends and your existence in the lives of these people would harm them a lot more;
- Never stop your personal recovery process. Be ready to ask forgiveness whenever you understand that you remain in the incorrect, as it is the spiritual foundation of your recovery;
- Use prayers and meditation as a way to enhance your conscious contact with God in whatever type that you picture Him;
When you are ready, move all of your knowledge and experience to other individuals with substance abuse issues and, naturally, continue to practice the principles of 12-step programs throughout your life, as your personal recovery depends upon them.
Columbia, SC 12-step Programs and Their Concepts
Aside from the 12 guidelines explained above, twelve-step programs also include 12 customs that are gotten in touch with the organization of Alcoholics Anonymous groups in general and not with the process through which every one of their individuals is going through.
And here are these 12 customs:
- You do not require more than a genuine desire to stop drinking in order to get an AA membership and attend meetings of your group;
- The primary function of any AA group is to transfer the concepts of 12-step treatment programs to those who have a substance use issue;
- The whole group’s conscience and well-being are more important than that of any private independently, as the group purpose of recuperating from an disease depends upon the AA unity;
- The one ultimate authority of all AA groups is God himself, in whatever type we envision Him. And therefore, the leaders of any AA group are merely His servants;
- Each Alcoholics Anonymous ought to be produced independently from all others;
- AA groups need to constantly stay non-financial companies so that nobody would get distracted from the primary purpose of AA groups, which is to assist those with substance abuse issues in their spiritual development;
- Aside from being no-financial, AA groups should likewise remain self-support groups, indicating that any type of assistance from others ought to be denied;
- AA groups are nonprofessional, which is why their leaders ought to not be connected to medicine or psychology. The only possible exception is to employ special workers from substance abuse treatment service centers;
- Aside from AA groups being completely self-supporting, they ought to also stay non-organized groups, however they could create service boards or committees directly responsible for the assistance to be gotten by those they serve;
- Alcoholics Anonymous ought to not have an opinion on any outdoors matter so that the name of the groups and their treatment programs would not be utilized in public conflicts. AA leaders must remember that the participants of their groups have a right to maintain personal anonymity;
- Public relations could be utilized just with the goal of drawing in those in need and not for promoting the service centers and their functions;
- The assisting hand of others is not the only requirement of AA groups; privacy is the second one. This principle advises us that collectively-accepted guidelines need to be more crucial than every person’s desires, specifically when it comes to group partnership.
12 Step Programs’ Analyses in Columbia, SC
As you can see, the firstly created version of the 12-step program is based upon the spiritual awakening principles, however time has helped the program to develop and become less based on God if that is what you desire.
For a few of you who are not as much of followers in God, it would be great to understand that such spiritual focus is in fact not the main attribute that assists people to recover. Your own healing depends more by yourself interpretation of the 12 steps and on the social support of people who assist you because process. Approval of some higher power greater than us does not always suggest that God is that power; it could likewise be our AA or any other group that might assist us with all our affairs and troubles.
There are many different 12-step programs in Columbia, South Carolina nowadays, which is why you will have no trouble finding the ones in your regional neighborhood that fits your requirement the most, no matter whether it will be connected to belief in God or not.
Twelve Steps Advantages
As we currently know, one of the main principles of 12-step programs is anonymity, which is why it is rather difficult to gather information on its efficiency. But what we do know is that 74% of U.S.A. treatment centers are using 12 step programs as one of the treatment possibilities for its visitors. What is more, the individuals of this issue were found to be alcohol abstinent for longer time periods.
And as a few of the insurance policies can cover your expenses of going through a 12-step program in Columbia, South Carolina, it would be easy to understand why 12 actions have actually become so popular in the ins 2015.
Hence, knowing that 12 actions programs are popular and commonly accepted throughout the world, we can say for sure that this kind of treatment is effective; we simply do not know for whom. You can compare 12-step programs to therapy types: you can never understand for sure whether a particular method is working for you unless you try it out, however you still know that all of them could be reliable.
Option Treatment Programs in Columbia, South Carolina
It might be the case that 12-step programs are ineffective in your case, which is why thinking about alternatives is very important.
So here is a list of some other kinds of drug addiction treatments that might be handy:
Such programs take place in rehabilitation centers in Columbia, South Carolina with professional healthcare companies, which is why they are considered to be one of the most effective ones. Residential programs assist you to produce an environment where no substance use is allowed, which is why your recovery might be quicker compared to other rehab methods.
The only downside is that such programs are generally not that low-cost, which is why you might need to consider other alternatives. However if you do incline taking part in government-based rehab programs, then you might cover the expenditures with your insurance coverage.
Outpatient Rehabilitation Programs
These programs are quite similar to residential ones, but they enable you to continue living your life and bearing your obligations, as you will not have to remain at the center all day, simply in the early mornings and nights.
However, because of such a format, you might need to invest a larger period of time in your rehabilitation center and deal with your physical and mental health a bit more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the standard idea of a 12-Step program in Columbia, SC?
The primary concept of the Columbia 12 steps is that individuals can assist one another in their journey of getting rid of drug abuse or any other issues. And although at first, God was the central character of self-help groups, His presence is not required these days.
Where are the 12 steps in the AA Big Schedule?
The 12 steps can be discovered in the very start of the book “Alcoholics Anonymous,” in the chapter called “How it works.” However you could also check out them in the article above and choose whether or not they would be useful to you.
Exists an AA 12-step workbook?
Yes, there is a workbook available for 12 steps fans, and you can download it free of charge. Such workbooks are normally extremely practical for new members, and the important things that you document in such a workbook could be discussed together with other AA members.